Article by Taryn Walker
In traditional yogic teachings the soul is said to descend into the material world progressively through the 6 chakras. Each of the chakras gives a different level of consciousness, which altogether make up a human being. So the chakras are way more than centers of energy!
Reiki works beautifully with the chakras, but given their highly complex nature, it’s good to be realistic about what is possible with a Reiki session.
It is generally accepted in Eastern traditions such as Yoga and Chinese Medicine that we exist on different levels beyond the physical body. Reiki works mostly with the second layer of our being, the pranic or etheric body, though ripple effects of healing may also be felt in the less dense layers, such as the emotional body.
The chakras extend into all of our bodies. This is why purification of the chakras can be a life-long journey. Some of our issues are deep-seated and not even accessible to us unless we develop a genuine awareness of our more subtle layers.
A Reiki session may help us to feel better by bringing us into greater balance on some levels, but deeper traumas and issues require an additional supportive therapeutic process. Transpersonal psychotherapy in combination with deep meditation and traditional Yoga is known to be very effective.
If you’re going for regular Reiki sessions but are unable to stabilize the positive effects it means your deeper subconscious issues are not being addressed. Does this mean you should drop Reiki? Absolutely not! Just be aware that Reiki may not be ALL you need.
Freeing up and balancing energy in the pranic body, which is what Reiki is so good at, puts you in an excellent position to begin working on your deeper issues.
Here is a wonderful chakra balancing technique that can be used in a Reiki session:
- Place one hand above the Crown and the other above the Root chakra.
- Move each hand closer to and then further away from the body, sensing the feeling of the chakra energy in your hands.
- If it feels like less energy in one chakra you can offer Reiki with both hands to that chakra and then come back to the original position.
- Keep working like this until the feeling in both hands is the same or similar. There’s a feeling of balance and an intuitive knowing that it’s okay to move to the next position.
- Now place one hand just above the Third Eye chakra and the other over the Sacral chakra.
- Move your hands up and down gently, again sensing the chakra and facilitating the balancing of energy.
- Then move one hand to hover over the Throat chakra and the other above the Navel chakra. Do the same as above. Use symbols over the chakras at any time you feel the need.
- Finally bring both hands over the Heart and simply allow the receiver to respond naturally to Reiki.
It feels beautifully centering to end the session over the heart like this.
Trust your intuition throughout this process and always make sure the receiver is left in a calm and balanced state.
With regular chakra balancing a person may begin to receive insights into the issues present on the deeper layers of the chakras. It is then important to decide whether Reiki alone can be used to deal with these impurities or if complementary therapies are required.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Taryn Walker is a traveling Reiki Master Teacher who wishes to inspire people to realise that they are miraculous! She believes that Reiki can reveal our natural ability to heal ourselves and this empowers us to take responsibility for our lives. She works a lot with distant Reiki and loves the way it allows people to experience the illusion of separation. Taryn is grateful for being able to connect with her Reiki clients even while traveling. She usually lives on a little island in Thailand, where she practices and teaches Reiki, but finds ‘home’ wherever she is. Taryn enjoys yoga, nature, creating art, cooking and finding magic in “ordinary” places. Follow her here: http://reiki-alchemy.com/, http://www.facebook.com/alchemyhealing, and http://bit.ly/reikialchemyoutube.