What is Animal Reiki?
Animal Reiki is an alternative therapy with Reiki healing energy to help animals rebalance on physical, mental, emotional and energetic levels. Both pets and wildlife enjoy Reiki and benefit from it. It’s mainly used for physically ill animals but is very beneficial for any animal. Some Reiki Masters even choose to attune their pets.
Most pets are ill from picking up the low-frequency energies from their owners so practicing Reiki self-healing regularly before healing the animals can be helpful.
Benefits of practicing Animal Reiki
- increases the sense of childlike awe, wonder, and curiosity
- reminds us that we are all connected
- opens intuitive capabilities
- more deeply meditative than Reiki with people
- teaches about simply being still and receptive
- fuller understanding of compassion
- deeply healing for the animal, the healer, as well as for the family of the animal
Read more about Animal Reiki benefits here.
Ways to practice as an Animal Reiki Practitioner
- work with pets and other animals in their home, at their farm, or in their stable
- work distantly with pets or other animals
- volunteer in your local shelter or animal rescue
- volunteer at a zoo or a wild animal habitat
- work directly with the animals in your neighborhood or your own yard
- treat your own pets
More details in 6 Ways to Be an Animal Reiki Practitioner article.
How to perform Reiki on animals
Offering Reiki to an animal is different than giving Reiki to a person. That’s why some tips on how to perform Reiki on animals may help:
- Be calm and relaxed when approaching an animal
- Allow animals to feel more at ease with you
- Ask for animal’s permission to send it Reiki
- Let the animal guide your hands
- Follow the animal’s lead
- Let intuition be your guide
- End the session when the animal lets you know it is done receiving Reiki
For detailed tips on the subject, read Using Reiki with Animals article.
As a first step, asking permission verbally or telepathically is required.
If the permission was given and the animal feels comfortable, the Reiki healing session can start by placing the hands in various positions. If the animal has been through trauma and isn’t open to meet and be touched by a stranger, healing from a distance or through flooding is recommended. Most animals need very little Reiki unless they are sick. They may sleep more than usual after their first session. Read more about Reiki for Animals here.
The steps, outlined briefly, for performing a Reiki session for an animal with a deadly illness are the following:
- Step 1: Seal yourself and your environment in your favorite way
- Step 2: Set the intention of the session
- Step 3: Make a master or power symbol on the palms of your hands
- Step 4: End the session by making a power or master symbol over them
- Step 5: Make a grounding symbol over them and then one over yourself as well
Not only pets need Reiki but all the animals, including homeless and wild ones. In the Distant Group Reiki for Homeless Pets and Wild Animals article a short basic method of sending healing is shared. A divine ball of light will surround the group animals and protect them from negativity and calamities.
Every animal carries specific energies and messages from beyond. Using animal energy, one can develop particular abilities and heal specific aspects of himself and others. For example, owl energy helps develop the ability of seeing the truth in any situation and offers protection and divine intervention if needed. For a master healing, Dolphin Reiki is suggested since the dolphins are considered the equal to Ascended Masters and Archangels. For a quick overview of animal symbolism meaning, check Animal Symbolism Handout article here.
Animals energies can be easily integrated into daily Reiki practices through the following tips:
- self-Reiki session in a favorite place of that animal
- self-Reiki session with relaxing music that incorporates nature sounds with that specific animal
- set an intention at the beginning of the Reiki session
- meditate with Reiki and that animal’s energy
- wear jewelry or any other object that symbolizes the animal
- energy boxes
For extremely high vibrations and healing higher aspects of the soul, one can connect to unicorns energies which are the purest and most loving beings, similar to angels, descended from the 7th and 9th dimensions.
Animal Spirit Guides
In addition to having spirit guides such as Masters or Archangels, we also have animal spirit guides who are our protectors and companions through life according to the divine instructions.
The Animal Spirit Guides can reveal to you in different ways – as messengers, journey companions, life companions, or shadow teachers. One can have more than one animal spirit guide and it’s important to build a relationship with them.
Do you see a certain animal repeatedly in your daily life? Through Animal Spirit Guides, the universe is sending messages so it’s important to interpret them correctly. It can be an actual animal, picture, sticker, advertising, and so on. If you notice a repeating animal symbol use the following method:
- make one large power symbol and one large emotional healing symbol over the repeating animal symbol
- make power symbols over the palms of your hands and then send Reiki to the symbol for 5 minutes – allow any messages to come through no matter how strange they may be – let the mind relax and be free
- at the end of the 5 minutes write anything that came to mind during this time in a journal
- be grateful for the received message
The stronger the connection with the Animal spirit guide, the clearer the message received from it. In order to strengthen the relationship with the Animal spirit guide, take into consideration these quick tips:
- meditate on the animal spirit guide
- talk to the animal, if possible
- connect to it through Reiki energies
- using Reiki energy before bedtime and asking to connect to the animal spirit guide during sleep
- invoke Reiki symbols to connect and for better communication
There are different Reiki methods to connect with the Animal Spirit Guides. For step by step guidance and many other relevant aspects on the topic, read the Animal Spirit Guides article.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Anna Marks is part of the Reiki Rays Team since 2016. She is a freelance writer and a freelance soul. Although she got in touch with many healing methods and teachings, her journey made her realize we are our own authority and there is only one Truth that unite us all – unconditional love. She has only one thought for you – Learn to love yourself just as much as God loves you. Reach Anna at email@example.com.