We’re continuing the Chakra Series today, with the Solar Plexus Chakra.
According to Hindu tradition, the solar plexus chakra is the third chakra, which often deals with raw emotions such as frustration, anger and intuitions. The solar plexus chakra or manipura, which means ‘city or jewels’ or also commonly thought of as the diamond, is the center of energy for feelings of sensitivity and power. When the chakra is in balance, you feel confident, zealous, calm, cheerful, and self respectful. It also ensures that you are expressive about your feelings and that you are outgoing, flexible and can handle problems with a calm mind. It is called the solar plexus chakra because of its location being close to the solar nerve plexus.
Functions of the Solar Plexus Chakra
Maintaining physical health
This chakra manages the autonomic nervous system, stomach, gall bladder, large intestine, liver, pancreas. Also the whole digestive system and muscular system are governed by this chakra.
The solar plexus chakra is also responsible for cellular respiration. Every system or organ in the body that can be visualized with fire to fuel them or simply, those that produce energy, cause purification and those that function or create movements utilizing this energy are all administered by this chakra. Even the eyes are governed by the solar plexus chakra.
Issues with the digestive system, arthritis, diabetes and hypoglycemia are some diseases and physical problems connected to the imbalance of this chakra.
Fiery emotions or raw emotions are controlled by this chakra. Thus these emotions include anger, zeal, courage, confidence and frustration. Also warm feelings such as joy, cheerfulness, and spontaneity are controlled by manipura. Gut feelings or intuitions are also connected to this chakra.
Depression, frustration, isolation, doubt, lethargy or anger are signs of imbalance in this chakra. Removing the negative energies that block the chakra goes a long way in helping it heal.
The solar plexus chakra requires everything to be well organized and set up properly as it does not work well with disorder or chaos. It also requires all the aspects of a given situation to be considered without condoning.
Inability to deal with chaos is related to this chakra’s imbalance – as it cannot restore order.
Peacefully resolving a conflict comes under this chakra’s domain. It is the capability of bringing two groups to a solution without hurting anyone and leaving everybody satisfied.
Actions and willpower
The most important function of this chakra is to exhibit feelings of courage, motivation, strength and happiness. The prana or inner battery of the body when fully charged releases energy to boost such emotions enhancing the level of confidence and courage to fulfill one’s dreams. Manipura is the key to which one can make decisions, the right actions and face whatever life has in store.
Inability to work hard, procrastination, apathy, being dominated by personal habits and being controlled by others are some factors related to imbalances of this chakra.
A balanced solar plexus chakra gives you a feeling that you are as important as any other in your society. Thus allowing you to create or negotiate boundaries for yourself and stand upright to those boundaries without changing them. You will be able to judge what is good and what is bad for yourself and avoid actions that have negative consequences. You feel independent.
An imbalanced manipura will make you easily controlled by others; you’ll lose self respect, do what others want you to but uncomfortable with it and constantly worrying about what others think.
Clearing your solar plexus chakra
The following are ways to clear your solar plexus chakra:
- Spend some time in the sun
- Exercise and indulge in various sport activities
- Finish off tasks that you have left incomplete. Clean out a messy room, for example
- Put some effort in dressing up and grooming yourself. Look good and feel good
- Set a goal and achieve it. You can break the task into doable chunks and make sure you take some breaks. You will feel good after you complete the task
- Be more assertive. Make decisions and stick to them
- Use scents such as rosemary or lavender
- Decorate your room and turn it yellow so that it gives you energy and spirit
- Remember that you are strong and worthy of all your desires. Stand up for yourself and accept challenges
Reiki Healing for the Solar Plexus Chakra
Reiki practitioners might have their own technique for balancing the solar plexus chakra, below is just one of the methods that many find effective.
- Place your hands above the navel to trigger the energy center, and start sending Reiki energy
- Some practitioners recommend that for females, rotate to the left and males, rotate to the right – but others disagree. Try both ways and see what feels right for you.
- Mantras can also be used which in this case is the tone of E for the mantra ‘ram’. The vibrations caused during the delivery of this mantra will cause the negative energies to flow out of the chakra.
- Aromatherapy can also be used with lavender, rosemary and bergamot to unblock the chakra
- If you’re into gemstones, use as amber, yellow topaz, tiger’s eye, and citrine
While going through the healing process, you may see visions of sunlight and sunflower :).
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF: