Article by Anna Marks
Reiki is in itself a powerful form of healing but combining it with other forms of energy healing and modalities can enhance the experience both for practitioner and client. And one of these modalities is aromatherapy that can now be used as a stand-alone practice.
For those of you who are new to this field, aromatherapy or essential oil therapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses natural plant extracts medicinally to improve the health of the body, mind, and spirit. Even though aromatherapy is used for thousands of years in ancient cultures around the world, only recently it has begun to gain more and more recognition in the fields of science and medicine and people are starting to integrate it into their plan treatment since there are plenty of studies considering essential oils as “promising natural alternatives to conventional pharmaceutical drugs”. You can read the study here.
You can use essential oils for almost anything from anxiety and insomnia to prevent and fight aggressive deadly illnesses like cancer. If you want to raise your vibrational frequency in a sec, essential oils are also a great match! Rose, Helichrysum, Frankincense, Lavender, and Myrrh are just some of the highest vibrational essential oils you can use on a daily basis to attain good health and abundant spirit. If you want to read more on this aromatherapy topic, here you’ll find a well-documented article that will answer more of your questions and curiosities.
There are many essential oils that can be used in our Reiki practice but if I would have to pick only seven of them, there will be the following ones:
1. Lavender. Chronic stress has been associated with increased reports of illness so an essential oil to promote calm, tranquility, relaxation, and soothing the soul for spiritual work is a must in any Reiki healing space! Its ability to quiet a busy mind makes it the most popular essential oil on the market.
2. Frankincense. This is my favorite oil and I use it for everything. It carries an incredibly spiritual vibration and in Biblical times it was considered to be more valuable than gold. It’s not cheap at all, especially if you go for the Sacred Frankincense version which is even much stronger in some of its active constituents, so in healing sessions, this oil is usually used for those clients who need powerful healing to improve their physical health due to aggressive illnesses. Works miracles! Here‘s a study to support the above.
3. Vetiver. During Reiki session can be used to ground and bridge the gap between matter and Spirit, being able to speed up manifestation and healing into the physical realm. Vetiver oil centers one into its true self and is definitely a source of vital energy and regeneration.
4. Rose. It vibrates at a very high spiritual frequency, 320 Mhz, and enhances spiritual insight and transformation, bringing harmony to the body, mind, emotions, and spirit. Rose oil aids in aligning the subtle and physical bodies, opens the heart, and connects you to the energy of pure love. And also smells amazing!
5. Peppermint. This oil goes for cleansing and purification, stimulating the senses and clearing out any impurities and negative vibrations. Peppermint will enhance awareness and clarity, stimulating lucid dreaming and being able to receive with ease and presence any divine guidance.
6. Helichrysum. Also known as Immortelle, this essential oil will make self-exposure safe and that fear of remembering painful emotions will be transcended. Use Helichrysum to work through difficult emotions, trauma, or issues that are buried deep into the subconscious.
7. Lemon. It’s energetically luminous and acts like a cleanser on all levels – physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. Lemon oil enhances clarity and cleanses any negativity. Reiki practitioners can effectively use it to cleanse and purify their healing room between sessions.
Blends can also be made out of essential oils in case you need something specific for an illness or energetic blockage/imbalance. As an example, there are blends for abundance, acceptance, clarity, energy, immunity, boosting your intuition or even releasing and healing a deep trauma.
For inspiration, here are few ways to incorporate the essential oils into your Reiki practice but feel free to get creative and follow your own inner guidance:
- diffuse essential oil during healing sessions
- topical application of essential oil drops in strategic points – chakra system (read here what essential oils correlate to which chakra), the areas in need for healing, or simply following your intuition and divine guidance. Please make sure to check how to apply essential oils topically and safely diluting!
- add essential oil drop before performing hands-on or distant Reiki treatment
- breathing exercises: inhale/exhale the essential oil
- Reiki infused bath in which you add essential oil drops
- aromatic sprays (and you can find plenty recipes of essential oil room spray on the internet that can be afterward infused with Reiki)
- if you’re a Reiki Master Teacher, speak to your students about the possibility of enhancing their healing sessions using aromatherapy
Contribute to our lovely community and share what’s your favorite essential oil and the way you integrate it into your Reiki practice.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Anna Marks is part of the Reiki Rays Team since 2016. She is a freelance writer and a freelance soul. Although she got in touch with many healing methods and teachings, her journey made her realize we are our own authority and there is only one Truth that unite us all – unconditional love. She has only one thought for you – Learn to love yourself just as much as God loves you. Reach Anna at email@example.com.