Article by Justine Melton
Spiritual people who choose paths of helping others to heal are often sensitive people that possess many gifts. Often times they are empaths, medical intuitives, psychics, mediums, or an assortment of all of the above. These gifts allow them to excel in their healing art but these same gifts can also make it easy to become overwhelmed at times as well.
When I am working with someone I receive many messages about them and for them from Spirit. Sometimes these messages only come through during the actual session or reading. Other times they come through for each person days or weeks before as well as after they meet with me. Although this is very helpful to bring about the best healing possible it can be overwhelming for me and other healers. Not only am I receiving messages for people that are asking for help but I am also receiving messages for myself, my family, friends, etc. Although all of this is amazing and I feel so blessed and grateful to be gifted with extra abilities it can be overwhelming at times. Having constant non-stop information coming in and helping others can leave a practitioner in the healing arts completely burned out. This is normal and there are several things you can do to help before burnout strikes.
Top 10 Ways To Ease Overwhelment:
- Protect yourself every day in a way that works for you. I do this by visualizing a bubble of divine white light surrounding me. I then say, “I surround myself with the white light of God’s love and divine protection”. I also like to make one master symbol over myself.
- Daily Self Reiki. This is a daily present that you can gift yourself with. It brings anything to the forefront and keeps you clean and clear from the inside out.
- Respect yourself enough to say no. If your first reaction to someone’s request for help or anything for that matter is no then say it. You do not need to offer a reason. This is much easier than it sounds. Give it some practice.
- Cleanse your home and workspace once a month with Reiki or any other way that speaks to you. Also be sure to keep things around your home that repel and transmute negative energy. Some good examples of these are bowls of lemons, stones such as quartz, amethyst, and black tourmaline.
- Turn on the music! Listen to or play whatever type of music relaxes you, brings you happiness and helps keep you at a higher vibration.
- Dance like no one is watching. This may make you feel weird at first but I guarantee that after the first minute you will notice that you start to feel lighter.
- Take the time for yourself every day to exercise. You are just as important as everyone else. You do not have to create a strenuous routine that you stress about completing every day. Go with what you feel like doing each day. Even just 10min of stretching can really help.
- Start writing down any thoughts you have that you feel are pulling you down. Once you have them in front of you it is easier to recognize main issues and makes it easier to make changes. You can even send Reiki to this list by making a power symbol over the list and beaming Reiki to the list for a few minutes.
- Set aside a small amount of time each day to meditate. I like to do this while I am doing a self-reiki session. This is the perfect time to ask spirit any questions you may have and to be open to answers you may receive.
- Ok, now for the one that I feel is really the most important. Allow yourself to take a break! It is very common for people in the healing arts to feel guilty if they take time off or set a time aside where they are not “on call” for other people’s problems. I myself have been guilty of this and have worked on this lesson a lot over the last year. If you sense that you need a break listen to yourself and take some time off for yourself. If you are being sent constant messages for others tell your spirit guides that you need a break. They are there to help you!
Sending love and all that is good your way!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Justine Melton is a Reiki Master/Teacher and an Intuitive Counselor. Reiki came into her life and changed it in amazing ways. It is her passion now to bring Reiki to others and help them to heal in a holistic way. Justine is lucky enough to be an Empath, Clairaudient, Clairsentient, and Clairvoyant. She is able to use these gifts with Reiki if asked to give extra messages during a session for the client’s highest good. You can follow Justine on her website SerenityOfTheMindAndSoul.com and on Facebook at Serenity of the Mind & Soul.