Article by Haripriya Suraj, Reiki Master
Healing the mind must be on our list of priorities. It is way too easy for the mind to fill up with unnecessary clutter. If we allow the mind to accumulate clutter, it begins to resemble a closet that is stuffed with a whole lot of unessential things. Retrieving the essentials from such a closet becomes a challenge.
The mind can get cluttered as a result of:
1. Constant worry and anxiety
2. Disproportionate fears
3. Judgemental thoughts
4. Over thinking and analysis
5. Reliving past hurts
6. Living in the past/future
7. Media reports
8. Energetically draining social interactions
These are just a few examples of what clutters the mental body or the mind with negative energy. Left unchecked, a cluttered mind can take us on a bumpy roller coaster ride that we never wanted in the first place. A disturbed mind drains our energy, robs us of peace, impairs our wellness quotient and affects the quality of our sleep. We also waste precious time dwelling on unnecessary things when we could be using the same time productively.
So, how can we pay more attention to the mental body and care for it? Can we choose what to allow into our minds and what to discard? Yes we can. There is a place of stillness in each of us. This place of calm is synonymous with our Higher Self. The more we connect with this place of stillness in us, the easier it becomes to choose what to allow into our minds. Reiki practice brings unhelpful mental patterns to our awareness and also heals many of them. Meditation is another powerful tool that can help us access the place of stillness that is within us and add to the benefit we derive from Reiki practice. Meditation compliments Reiki practice beautifully. A daily practice of meditation and Reiki can help us heal the mind and to operate from that powerful centre of stillness in everyday life.
When we are beginners, even a small amount of time spent meditating is good enough. The five minute Reiki breath meditation described in this article would help Reiki practitioners who have never meditated before get into the habit of meditating.
Once we are comfortable meditating for shorter periods of time, it helps to gradually increase the amount of time we spend in meditation. This helps us go deeper into our centre of stillness and invites more peace and calm into our lives. Meditation practice helps to clear all forms of negativity from the mind and leaves us feeling calm and centered. It is especially important for everyone who has done third degree (including those who teach Reiki) to spend more time in meditation. It is crucial for us to be in constant touch with our inner centre of stillness so we can then help others do the same. If we have a mind that is frequently agitated, we will not be able to do justice to our own path nor to the souls that we work with.
If you have been regular with Reiki practice and especially if you have done third degree, it would be of great benefit to you to spend at least 15 minutes to half an hour in silent meditation as described below:
- Make sure your mobile phone is away.
- Light a candle in your healing space or any other private space. This light is symbolic of your Higher Self.
- If you wish to add a touch of Reiki, draw all the symbols that you are attuned to over the flame. If you are not attuned yet, just request Reiki to flow into your meditation space.
- Sit in a comfortable position with your feet on your floor and your palms placed lightly on your lap (facing up or joined together)
- Bring your awareness to your breath. Breathe very naturally. Do not manipulate the breath. Just be aware of every in breath and every out breath.
- As you breathe, all kinds of thoughts will enter your mind. Just know that you are not those thoughts. You may also become aware of certain sensations in the body. Do not resist the thoughts or sensations that come up. Every time you become aware of thoughts, gently bring your awareness back to your breath.
- As you keep your awareness on your breath, the frequency of thoughts coming in will drop. Your breathing will also become more relaxed. After a certain point, you may cease to be aware of your breath and just remain centered in a deep state of calm. This is the centre of stillness in you (your Higher Self).
- This is a very peaceful state. In this state, you may spontaneously receive insights and guidance. This does not happen every time you meditate. So, do not seek it every time you meditate as that will create a block and go against the flow. The purpose of meditation here is only to tap into your inner centre of stillness. Anything else that happens is just an added bonus.
- Stay in this state for as long as you naturally feel like. If you happen to go quite deep, do not force yourself to open your eyes and check if 15 minutes have passed. You may have set your target as 15-30 minutes but it does not mean that you must not meditate longer if you naturally feel like, especially when you have the time.
- Whenever you naturally feel like opening your eyes, rub your palms together, place them lightly over your eyes, allowing the nourishing energy that flows through them to touch your eyes.
- Open your eyes gently. Lie down and rest for a couple of more minutes if you need to.
This quote by Spiritual Teacher Deepak Chopra sums up the essence of meditation practice:
“Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It is a way of entering into the quiet that is already there -buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.”
Enjoy feelings of calm and stillness in your life!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Haripriya Suraj is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer, and Spiritual Teacher. She was drawn to Reiki right from her childhood and Reiki went on to become part of her life’s purpose. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is also deeply connected with the angels, with Angel Healing being an integral part of her Reiki practice. After reaping the fruits of Reiki practice in her life, she was inspired to spread the joy of Reiki and the light of the Angels. Haripriya offers courses in Reiki and Angel Healing as well as distance healing services. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya on her blog at lightworkersonearth.com, on email at email@example.com and on Facebook at Angel Light.