Article by Haripriya Suraj, Reiki Master
The word ‘Meditation’ scares a lot of people! They don’t even attempt meditating because they feel it requires intense concentration and discipline. They believe it is only for the enlightened and disciplined. This is just not true.
The essence of meditation is to just be. That is, to be with yourself in the moment and to rest in the lap of your Being. We are so used to rushing around and doing things all the time that it seems difficult to just be. To meditate is to give yourself some time where you do not have to think, do or achieve. You just have to be. Once you get to taste the joy of just being, you will begin to enjoy meditation and not find it hard anymore.
There are plenty of meditation techniques and each has its own value. But one of the simplest ways to meditate is with the help of your own breath.
Do this simple 5-minute meditation at least once every day. You can also do it whenever you are rushed and stressed and losing touch with yourself in the process. Incidentally, that is when you will benefit most from it. Taking these 5 minute breaks to just BE will nourish your body, mind and spirit and also help you get back to your daily routine with renewed energy.
This is how you do it:
- Ensure that you will not be disturbed for five minutes and that your mobile phone is turned off. This time is for you and you alone.
- Have a timer set for after five minutes so you will know you have given yourself a full five minutes of quiet time.
- Sit or lie down comfortably.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath.
- Visualise a huge upturned cosmic lotus over you. As you lie still, visualise that you are bathed in a shower of Reiki streaming down from this lotus.
- Bring your awareness to your breathing. Breathe in and out very naturally. That is all you need to do.
- If you find thoughts entering your mind, do not resist them. Just go back to being aware of your breath.
- Do this for the next five minutes. Once your timer goes off, you can slowly open your eyes and resume your normal routine.
That was easy right? Please don’t try to convince yourself that you don’t have even five minutes to spare for this! If you don’t have it, you need to create it. This is for your own growth and well being.
So, go for it! ☺
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Haripriya Suraj is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer and Starseed Lightworker. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is deeply connected with the Stars and Angels and they form an integral part of her Reiki practice. Her core mission is to help bridge the worlds of Spirit and Science and to help Lightworkers connect with their unique soul missions. Haripriya offers Personalised Starseed Transmissions, apart from workshops in Reiki and Angel Healing. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya at lightworkersonearth.com, empoweredmedicine-hospitaldiaries.com on email at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Facebook at Angel Light.