Grounding, often known as centering, is a technique commonly used in Reiki healing and other types of self healing procedures such as Yoga.
It allows you to focus on yourself and to be present in the here and now. It will make you feel connected, focused, calm, and in control.
It is important especially after a Reiki session, and it’s also recommended to do it as often as possible after a Reiki attunement.
[Check out the video version of this article here]
Grounding with the help of Meditation
One of the most popular techniques involving meditation is this:
- Find a quiet place where you can meditate.
- Sitting posture: you can sit in lotus position, with straight spine and legs crossed, hands lying on the lap. If sitting crossed-legged is a problem, another alternate is to sit on the chair with straight back. Make sure that you balance your posture on the bones of your buttocks, and touch / feel the floor under.
- Breathing: Breathe slowly with closed eyes. Focus your mind on the flow of breath, that is perhaps cooler in the inhale, and warmer on the exhale.
- Observe and meditate: Sitting in the same position, observe the contraction and expansion of your ribs due to breathing and changing happening to your body. Stop thinking about anything else but yourself. Soon, due to slow breathing, you will start to feel relaxed and calm.
- Feel the ground beneath you: Once you are in a state of trance, think about the ground beneath you and feel that you are attached with the ground as roots coming out of your body are going deep into the earth. Visualize a strong connection and attachment with earth beneath you.
This is one simple way to ground yourself with the help of meditation. Once you are familiar with this state, you can learn to return to this grounding state whenever you want. Particularly useful in stressful situations, or when overrun by worries.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
How to Return to the Grounding State at Will?
Once you are in a grounding state with the help of mediation, associate a word, a phrase, or an image with the grounded state. When meditating, use that as a mantra and make a strong connection of it with your grounding state. Once you have created a strong connection, you can use that particular word, phrase, or image to return to your grounding state whenever you are stressed or in need to relax. Mastering this technique will enable you to go into grounding state immediately by just saying or remembering that particular word.
Grounding is a key method for Reiki practitioners. Among other uses, it enables them to transfer energies from earth to their body and vice versa.