Article by Haripriya Suraj, Reiki Master
Reiki Leads the Way
When I started my Reiki practice years ago, I simply could not understand what it meant to heal the heart. I did not understand how someone’s capacity to give or receive love could be affected. I thought I was open to love. During self healings, my heart chakra did not take up much energy. So, I assumed that it was in order and well balanced.
After doing the Master Degree,I realised that my assumption had been wrong. I understood that my heart chakra had not been taking up much energy because it was closed and would therefore not allow the free flow of energy through it. The Master Degree opened doors for me to heal my heart and led me on a new journey into the depths of the heart chakra. The journey is still on and I heal my heart one little step at a time and one tiny bit every day.
Understanding the Heart Chakra
The heart chakra is special because it serves as a bridge between the lower chakras and the higher chakras. It is like a flower-delicate and beautiful when in bloom. And just the opposite when blocked.
Babies and young children are full of love- pure, sweet, unconditional love. This love that babies display comes close to the love of Source or the Divine. It is the essence of who we are. But as live out our lives on Earth, our hearts harden and affect our ability to love.
All of us have been through pain. This pain could stem from our childhoods, relationships, careers, and other human experiences. Every painful experience we go through affects the heart chakra to some extent because when we feel pain, it blocks the flow of love. Over time, the pain becomes stronger and the blocks become larger, thereby allowing very little love to flow.
After accumulating tons of toxic energy in our hearts over years, we obviously cannot hope to reach a state of unconditional love and acceptance overnight. We will have to be gentle with ourselves and take small steps at a time.
Here I wish to share some tips that I personally found helpful during this journey of healing my heart and hope that it may be of some help to you ☺
Six Steps to Heal the Heart Chakra
- Whenever you experience any kind of pain, please do not keep it bottled up. A lot of energy is spent in bottling up pain. Express your feelings and release the pain. Personally, I love communicating with the angels whenever I am in pain. Talking to the angels and pouring your heart out to them is one way to release the energy associated with pain. Ask them to ease your pain and then let it go. You can also talk to other Spirit Guides you are comfortable working with. Or just talk to someone you trust and who loves you unconditionally.
- Work with Rose Quartz crystals. Cleanse your rose quartz crystal in your own way and then intend that it helps you open up to love. Place this crystal on your heart chakra and breathe in its energies. Follow this up with Reiki self healing. Rose Quartz has a lovely feel to it and brings about subtle but powerful changes in our ability to love ourselves as well as others.
- When you go through upsetting situations that affect your ability to feel love, write a page of the following affirmation and give Reiki to it – “Love flows freely through my heart. I am now open to giving and receiving love.” This will help in opening up your heart gently.
- Spend time with babies and young children. They may be tiny but they are far wiser than adults in matters of love. We can learn lessons in love just by being in the presence of these tiny beings. Have you ever seen a baby or young child holding a grudge or being resentful? It is impossible because they overflow with love.
- Do you love yourself? This is so important. We are often very hard on our own selves. Unless we love ourselves, there is no way we can love others with an open heart. Open your heart to your own self. This takes time and effort but it is very important if you wish to heal your heart. Take time everyday to appreciate yourself and begin to view yourself with compassion and love.
- Forgive. This comes last because it is the most difficult step of all! Forgive yourself first for everything you think you have done or not done. Forgive everyone who you believe has hurt you.
Recently, I came across this interesting quote by Celia Cruz that said, “Forgiving is not forgetting. Forgiving is remembering without pain.” This quote beautifully sums up the meaning of forgiveness. In order to forgive, you do not have to justify the action committed by the perceived offender. You only have to forgive the person and free yourself from the toxic energies associated with the perceived wrong doing. True forgiveness can only happen when we feel compassion. And since we each have our own pain to heal, feeling compassion takes time and effort. Be gentle with yourself and take small steps. Forgive one person at a time. Go at your own pace. Most importantly, forgive yourself. This will make forgiving others easier.
Healing the heart chakra is a journey in itself, and a very beautiful one. It will lead you back to the core of your own Being – Love, Love & Only Love!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Haripriya Suraj is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer and Starseed Lightworker. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is deeply connected with the Stars and Angels and they form an integral part of her Reiki practice. Her core mission is to help bridge the worlds of Spirit and Science and to help Lightworkers connect with their unique soul missions. Haripriya offers Personalised Starseed Transmissions, apart from workshops in Reiki and Angel Healing. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya at lightworkersonearth.com, whenspiritmeetsscience.com on email at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Facebook at Angel Light.