This was not an easy article to write, mainly because I, like so many of you, struggle with the concept of war. We are outraged at the violence and destruction of Russian-Ukrainian War, particularly in the aftermath of our continued battle and endurance of the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic. And yet, war has been a constant part of our human existence since the beginning of time. Just in the past century or so we have seen World War I, World War II, Spanish Civil War, Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, Falklands War, Gulf War, Bosnian War, and war in Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea, Vietnam, Ruanda, and Eritrea, to name but a few. Whether we like it or agree with it or not, war is (and has always been) an expression of part of our human condition – greed and power that are rooted in an exaggerated and unbalanced (and most likely unhealed) part of our ego-expression.
Living in South Africa, I understand only too well that fight, flight, or freeze is inherently part of our human nature when we respond to the world around us. It is a survival instinct. But nothing about war is about survival… it is about the interplay of greed and power… both based on ego, where ego seeks only to serve itself.
As human beings most of us live and survive on this planet by maintaining a good balance between ego and soul, trying to live in peace and harmony with all of humanity. Our response to the Covid-19 pandemic is testimony to this. The Russian-Ukrainian War seems to be out of place and out of sync with the shift that so many of us have experienced over the past 2 years. Where the Covid-19 pandemic pulled us towards our spiritual nature, with love and compassion towards our fellow humans, war is slamming its ego-fist into everything that was created in the months before.
As individuals we have very little control over the ego-based decisions of the political leaders (or mis-leaders in some cases) in the pursuit of power, supremacy and the conflict and war that so often result form this. We do, however, have the ability and responsibility to choose which path we follow – a path dominated by ego or the path of spirit.
For me, Reiki is a powerful expression of spirit and the spiritual path we choose. In the practice of Reiki, we seek to create balance and harmony in body, mind, and spirit/soul. We acknowledge that we are ego, but it is our choice not to live by ego alone. With Reiki we step into our spiritual nature, honouring our soul’s essence of love and compassion.
In the practice of Reiki, we live by the Five Precepts – one of these being honouring all life. This is where war does not fit into our Reiki nature as it contradicts everything we live by – heart-centred living, love, compassion, and the absence of judgment. We understand that everything and everyone is connected and that your experience of Reiki is having a spiritual life that connects us to Universal life-force energy.
War affects everyone and we cannot condone it. We also cannot stand in judgement. As Reiki practitioners, we can, however, do Reiki healing in a variety of ways to fulfil our obligation as healers.
Here are a few thoughts, but I would like to invite you to share your insights too so that we can collectively respond to this war as a community of Reiki healers, with the power and grace of the Universe.
- Send Reiki distant healing to everyone involved and affected in war – not just the Russian-Ukrainian War, but all people affected by the wars that ravage our planet. Past, present, and future.
- Send Reiki distant healing to heal the situation of “war” in any way that you perceive relevant – people, places, choices, decisions, ideology, etc.
- If you are a Reiki Master, teach and spread Reiki and the healing power of Reiki as much as you can into the world. Remember, Reiki is not for the select few – anyone can learn Reiki. The more people there are who are able to do healing through Reiki, the healthier our planet will be – not only in terms of war, but also in respect of healing Mother Earth in all her dimensions.
- On a day-to-day basis, when working with clients and students, work with the intention of giving Reiki healing to bring a greater sense of health, wellbeing, vitality, and peace into the lives of clients and students as they move forward in the wave of Reiki healing, affecting those around them and which ripples out further into the world.
- With self-healing, find and focus on the peace within yourself and find that sense of oneness with all of humanity. A healthy society can only be established through the cooperation of a large number of people and in the Universal dimension, there is no distinction between self and others, only the existence of the same soul. So, the Reiki precept of “Be kind to others” is synonymous to “Be kind to yourself”.
- Live a life of gratitude for all your blessings – and pay it forward.
May we all be blessed with the love, light and healing of Reiki.
Article by Thea van der Merwe
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Thea van der Merwe, Ph. D. is a nationally and internationally trained holistic energy, certified and experienced Master Reiki Practitioner, qualified in Usui Reiki, Reijukido, Karuna® Reiki, Karuna Ki Reiki, Crystal Reiki, and Gendai Reiki. She obtained the title of Shihan (full master/teacher), the highest level in Gendai Reiki Ho. Besides her greatest passion which is Reiki, Thea is also a spiritual shaman, healer, and teacher, offering readings as a way of accessing spiritual guidance. Her journey of personal discovery, growth, and healing started back in 2005 when she was personally in need of healing and searching for something more than what conventional medicine and therapy could provide. Thea is currently nationally and internationally registered with the South African Reiki Masters Association and The Reiki Healing Association respectively – both professional associations for the local and global Reiki communities, working to promote the wide-reaching practice and healing effects of Reiki throughout the world and where the primary philosophy is that together, we can do so much more. You can get into contact with Thea van der Merwe at viterra.co.za, which is her website, and at facebook.com/viterrahealing on Facebook.