Article by João Antão Marques
A Reiki session, as an energy treatment, has to be addressed properly. I’ve noticed that there are lots of people who feel tired or uncomfortable after treating others (that also happens to some Masters…) and that, during the treatment, even sweat.
In my opinion, that is due to improper practice and lack of knowledge and, that’s why my pupils of Level I are taught what they need to know to treat others, namely the utilization of the Power Symbol right from the start (I don’t recommend Levels I to treat others but, it is expected that they will try to practice with friends and test what they have been taught).
Let’s see some aspects that need to be addressed properly:
- The most important one to consider is protection, you need to be protected while treating others (specially in distant treatments) and, in my opinion, the best way to protect oneself is:
• Draw the Power Symbol in front of you and,
• Use also this Symbol to seal chakras one to seven (you can seal only the front chakra or also the back chakra – I seal both);
- Another important step is to ground yourself as well as the client;
- Hands activation, simply draw your Symbols on the palms of your hands (distance, mental, power is the sequence for level two) starting with the non dominant hand. To increase power, draw the Power Symbol on the back of your hands, non-dominant hand first;
- Energetic cleaning – you are not supposed to treat others with the energy accumulated during your daily routine or with the energy of the previous client. To clean energetically yourself, Kenyoku is the technique to be used.
- Blankets and treatment table should also be cleaned between clients, as well as the room.
- Invocation – with your hand in Gassho ask, to the God Most High of the Universe, or the God of your belief, that He cleans your channel, and request permission to channel the energy. Request orientation to your Guides and channeling to the Energy (don’t forget to thank, when finished, the blessing you have received as channeling the Reiki energy is a blessing!).
- Room cleaning – draw Mental Symbol and Power Symbol on the corners (as energy flows in circles), floor, ceiling, doors and windows, and in the center of the room draw all your Symbols (for instance, for Level II the sequence is – Distance; Mental; Power).
- Aura scan (Byosen-Reikan-Ho) is also a must and only takes a couple of minutes to perform – place your non dominant hand at fifteen centimeters from the Crown chakra of your client and “read” the information for fifteen to thirty seconds. Then, sweep your non dominant hand, over his body at a distance of twenty to thirty centimeters (even lower if you feel the need to do so) three times and try to sense the energy variations all over his body (ensure that the sweep covers all the body). Heat, small electric discharges, tingling, cold or even pain, are some of the signals you may get. This will indicate you the “distressed” points and the level of blockage therein, points to which you will pay special attention. The scan should be repeated at the end of the treatment schedule.
- The treatment sequence is of your choice, either following the “chakra sequence” or the Byosen indications or, both. If by any chance you need to interrupt the treatment the procedure is as follows – draw the Power Symbol over the area being treated and, when resuming treatment, draw the Power Symbol again and continue normally.
- After the treatment seal the treatment by drawing the Power Symbol on the Solar Plexus chakra and expressing an intention, for instance – may the effects of this treatment last and that the results ….. may be achieved;
- Before releasing the client it is recommended that you perform the following (a a variant of the HanShin-Ketsueki-Kokan-Ho Technique);
• Place your non dominant hand on the shoulder of your client and sweep the back softly in diagonal (from top to bottom) eight times for each side;
• Then sweep the column ten times, from top to bottom, using the indicator and middle finger of your dominant hand;
• Divide the back in three parts and sweep gently from the center three times – this will ensure auras separation and will increase grounding of the client.
- Sometimes the client may feel a little bit drowsy or sleepy after the treatment. If it’s the case, Koki-Ho on the front chakra will solve the problem.
A flux, or sequence, could be as follows:
- Hands activation
- Room cleaning
- Energetic cleaning
- Reception of the client/chat
- Invocation/request for orientation
- Aura smoothing
- Aura scan
- Client grounding
- Aura scan
- Repeat positions if and as needed
- Aura sweeping
- Chakra “encounter”
- Aura separation
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
João Antão Marques, a retired chemical engineer, is an Usui Tibetan Reiki Master/teacher living in Lisbon, Portugal, with training in Jikiden Reiki, Karuna® Reiki and Seichim, Lotus Light Jewel, Tibetan Bowls Massage and Therapy of Past Lives. Works as a volunteer with elder people in a Daily Center of the Portuguese Red Cross and has also worked with drugs and alcohol addicted. Recently undertook a study of the effects of Reiki in people affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis. João can be reached by mail at email@example.com.