Article by Haripriya Suraj, Reiki Master
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine. The health of this chakra determines the strength of our connection with the Earth. The upper chakras help us experience higher dimensions, while the lower ones help us with earthly life. As Reiki healers, we have easy access to the world of energy and spirit. However, at this point in time, we also reside in human bodies on Planet Earth. Hence, it is essential to pay as much attention to the lower chakras as we do to the higher ones.
It is important for us to stay grounded and rooted to the Earth. Many people have trouble connecting with the Earth. They feel the environment here is harsh and wish to connect with higher dimensions at all times. While it is true that life on Earth can be difficult, it is not the Earth’s fault that it is so. It is the people who make a place. If life here is difficult, it is because of our own selves and the rest of humanity.
Mother Earth is a being of love and compassion. She supports us to the best of her ability, despite all the damage we go around creating. As Reiki healers, we have the capacity to play a role in healing the Earth.
With this awareness, we can make an effort to connect with the Earth and make the most of life here.
Some Signs of a Weak or Imbalanced Root Chakra
- Survival Issues – You worry about basic things like food, clothing and shelter. You don’t feel supported by life.
- Fears and Phobias – You are generally fearful and possibly have some phobias too. You may harbour a fear of life itself and find it hard to relax.
- Feeling Spacey – You feel separate from your body and have a hard time connecting with it. You are not well grounded.
- Anxiety and Worry – You are prone to excessive worry and anxiety. You often feel negative and find it hard to look for the silver lining behind dark clouds.
- Feelings of not belonging – You don’t connect easily with other human beings or with your life’s purpose here on Earth. You prefer to spend most of your time connecting with higher realms and beings.
- Addictions – You are addicted to things like tobacco, alcohol, drugs, food, sex, sleep etc.
Healing the Root Chakra with Reiki
Many practitioners report that Reiki does not feel very strong while flowing through the root chakra. This could be because the root chakra is blocked. It could also happen when we unconsciously resist the flow of energy through the root chakra as we do not want much to do with earthly affairs. In order to achieve balance, it may help to be more conscious when we heal our root chakra with Reiki.
As you give Reiki to the root chakra, feel your feet planted firmly on the Earth. If you are seated, feel your feet touching the floor and enjoy the feeling. Visualise roots extending from your feet and going deep down into the Earth.
Bring your awareness to the root chakra. Visualise it as a spinning red ball of energy and intuitively scan the chakra for areas deficient in energy. Visualise Reiki flowing from your hands and filling up these areas. As the chakra heals, you feel more grounded and experience a deep connection with the Earth.
Grounding in day to day life is also an important aspect of healing the root chakra. Here are a few ways to stay grounded:
- House Work – Activities like cooking, cleaning, gardening etc have a grounding effect. Most of us do these jobs as a routine and don’t really enjoy them. However, these activities have the potential to ground and balance us. Even half an hour of such work done with complete awareness can ground us and have a positive impact on the root chakra.
- Nature Walks – Spending time in nature is one of the easiest ways to connect with the Earth. Your own garden or backyard can work wonders. If you don’t have a garden at home, you can visit a park at least once a week and spend time in nature. If you have access to a lawn, take off your footwear and walk bare feet on the grass. It is one of the best feelings in the world. Feel the Earth as you walk. As you walk around, consciously breathe in the fresh air, and enjoy the chirping of the birds. Touch and feel the mud and the trees. To make it even better, lie under a tree with your back resting on the Earth.
- Have Fun – When was the last time you had some fun and enjoyed life? Small pleasures can go a long way in grounding us. Going to a cafe for a cup of hot tea, catching up with friends and family for a fun movie, browsing through books in a store and such simple activities can keep us grounded too.
- Massage – Indulging in a relaxing massage of your choice once a month or so is an effective way to connect with the body.
- Dance – Dancing is a joy. One need not be a trained dancer to enjoy the benefits of dance. At least once a week, put on some foot tapping music and dance away! Dance has the power to make us feel light, ecstatic and grounded all at once. It is also a fun way to exercise the body.
- Spending time with Children – Spending time with young children is a nice way to ground ourselves. Children always live in the moment and are very connected to the Earth. Leave a child alone in a garden full of trees, grass, a ball and some sand toys and he can spend the entire day there! Playing, laughing and having a good time with children can have a powerful grounding effect on us.
Love and Blessings!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Haripriya Suraj is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer, and Spiritual Teacher. She was drawn to Reiki right from her childhood and Reiki went on to become part of her life’s purpose. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is also deeply connected with the angels, with Angel Healing being an integral part of her Reiki practice. After reaping the fruits of Reiki practice in her life, she was inspired to spread the joy of Reiki and the light of the Angels. Haripriya offers courses in Reiki and Angel Healing as well as distance healing services. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya on her blog at lightworkersonearth.com, on email at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Facebook at Angel Light.