Do you like who you are? When we are authentic, we are comfortable being in our own skin and accept ourselves as we are. A lot of people grow up with the belief that they are not good enough. Nothing they do is good enough. They set very high standards for themselves and beat themselves up when they fall short. This is often due to childhood conditioning. Babies and young children are content being who they are. It is only as they grow, that they feel the need to put on masks, impress others and pretend to be someone they are not.
There is great freedom to be experienced when you drop the mask and accept yourself as you are. This does not mean that you must not strive to grow and be a better person. It only means that you don’t pretend to be who you are not. You don’t apologise for being who you are or change your persona to suit the needs of others.
Here are some ways to be your authentic self:
- Let’s start with the simple stuff. Do you dress in a way that you like and that is comfortable for you? Or do you dress to impress? If you find yourself doing the latter, drop it. We are not our clothing or our makeup. It is of course a social requirement to be presentable. Nor is there anything wrong with wearing makeup. The problem arises when looking good becomes an obsession and you find yourself spending a lot of time and effort on impressing others with your looks and clothing.
- Do you worry excessively about what others think of you? You probably said something to someone and it was not well received. Do you worry excessively about the kind of impression you made on that person? It is necessary to be polite and well mannered. But it is not necessary to be overly cautious about each word you speak and every impression you make.
- Are you well aware of your strengths and weaknesses? Do you feel ashamed about your flaws or do you deny them? Remember no one’s perfect and neither can you be. So, you don’t have to feel bad about your flaws or deny their existence. It is OK to be imperfect and it is OK to be honest about your flaws and quirks. What is not OK is to use them as an excuse to continue behaving in troublesome ways. If your flaws are blocking your growth, acknowledge them first and get to work on healing them.
- Do you go around pleasing others to gain acceptance? Doing things you don’t like to do or saying things you don’t mean from your heart? Drop it. People pleasers drift farther and farther away from their true selves until they reach a point when they can’t recognise themselves anymore. To be powerful, all you need to do is just be yourself. By being someone else, you give your power away and block your own growth. Be yourself.
- Do you appreciate your talents and gifts? For instance, if you are a professional Reiki healer, how comfortable do you feel telling others about your work? Do you worry that people will scoff at you? If yes, stop worrying. Every job has value and every person is valuable. Your value is not determined by what you do. You are valued for just being who you are. The people who value you based on what you do are not worth hanging around anyway. And the ones you deserve will cherish you for being who you are.
To move closer to your authentic self, write the following affirmation down on a piece of paper, draw the mental-emotional symbol on it and give Reiki to it every day. Reiki will help you transform and get you feeling comfortable with the idea of being your authentic self.
“I love and accept myself exactly as I am. I am a valuable person.”
Starting today, drop all masks, unfold your wings and let the world see your true colours!
Haripriya is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer, and Spiritual Teacher. She was drawn to Reiki right from her childhood and Reiki went on to become part of her life’s purpose. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is also deeply connected with the angels, with Angel Healing being an integral part of her Reiki practice. After reaping the fruits of Reiki practice in her life, she was inspired to spread the joy of Reiki and the light of the Angels. Haripriya offers courses in Reiki and Angel Healing as well as distance healing services. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya at email@example.com and Angel Light on Facebook.