We all agree that emotional baggage and unresolved issues could cause major blockages to manifest in our energy body, prohibiting us from moving forward into a life of inner-peace, grace and balance in body, mind, and spirit.
We also agree that Reiki healing could be highly beneficial in releasing these emotions, especially if we include the Mental/Emotional Symbol in our healing treatments.
But, for whatever reason, there are certain emotions that seem to linger. These emotions are deep-seated and we find it difficult to become “unstuck”.
To support your own emotional healing, or that of a client, I would like to share a visualisation exercise which I incorporate into Reiki healing treatment and which I have found highly effective.
Step 1: Identify the Emotions
I prefer to focus on the 2 or 3 emotions that the client find difficulty with in releasing. These emotions often revolve around issues of betrayal, abandonment, shame and unworthiness, but could include anything. We will discuss with the emotions waiting to be released before the Reiki healing treatment. Be guided by your client but do not shy away from the intuitive guidance you receive during the pre-treatment part of your session with your client.
Step 2: Do the Reiki Healing Treatment
You will be guided by your intuition and guides as to the process you follow in offering Reiki healing. And also when to incorporate the visualisation of release in Step 3. Do your Reiki healing treatment in whichever way you are guided to do. Use the Mental/Emotional Symbol, or any other symbol that you are guided to use, as and when appropriate.
I often find that the most appropriate time for the visualisation of release in Step 3 is when we are working on or around the solar plexus and/or sacral chakra. This is a generalisation, and it could be around any of the other chakras.
Step 3: Visualisation of Release
Once you are “prompted” that the visualisation of release needs to be done, move your hands so that one hand is on the solar plexus and the other on the sacral chakra. Guide the client to visualise the release of emotions as follows…
Note: For the purpose of this article I will use the example of the emotions “fear” and “unworthiness” that need to be released. Please adapt the script according to your or your client’s specific needs.
- Taking a deep breath in, I would like you to visualise yourself standing in a meadow.
- It is a beautiful meadow… the grass is green and cool under your bare feet… there is a soft breeze on your face… and the sun is shining warmly on your back.
- You feel comfortable and safe.
- In front of you there is a bench… what colour is your bench?… what shape?
- And sitting on the bench is a familiar figure… a figure that instils a feeling of comfort… safety… inner peace and calm… it is one of your spirit guides.
- She lovingly looks at you and invites you to come and sit with her on the bench.
- And as you sit next to your spirit guides, you feel her all embracing love for you… her protection… her strength…
- You feel safe and secure in her presence… you feel calm and serene…
- She now asks you to look at what you are holding in your right hand.
- And for the first time you notice that you are holding two red balloons, tightly clenched in your right hand.
- You look up and see these two red balloons bobbing in the sky above you…
- You feel the strings of these two balloons cutting into your hand… but you are unable to open your hand to release the pain and discomfort they are causing.
- And each balloon has a label… the one is labelled “FEAR” and the other “UNWORTHINESS”
- And now, you feel your spirit guide gently put her hand on your left shoulder… and she tells you that “fear” no longer serves you… it is time for you to let go of all your fear… the people… situations… relationships… everything that fill you with feelings of fear…
- You no longer need to hold on to your fear… it is time to let it go… you are allowed to let it go.
- And with her warm and loving support you open your right hand and release the balloon labelled “fear”…
- You watch the red balloon of fear floating up… up… up into the sky, getting smaller and smaller… until it disappears into nothingness… releasing all fear to dissipate into the universe… feeling a great sense of release and relief…
- And again, you feel your spirit guide gently put her hand on your left shoulder… and she tells you that “unworthiness” no longer serves you… it is time for you to let go of all your feelings of being unworthy… the people… situations… relationships… everything that fill you with feelings of unworthiness …
- You no longer need to hold on to your feelings of unworthiness … it is time to let it go… you are allowed to let it go.
- And with her warm and loving support you open your right hand and release the balloon labelled “unworthiness”…
- And you watch the red balloon of unworthiness floating up… up… up into the sky, getting smaller and smaller… until it disappears into nothingness… releasing all feelings of unworthiness to dissipate into the universe… feeling a great sense of release and relief…
- You are feeling light and free… feeling only love and that you are enough.
- And now, with great gratitude you thank your spirit guide for her love and support in releasing that which no longer serves you.
- Feeling relaxed and rejuvenated, you get up from your bench and walk back across the meadow… back into this room… and back into this moment…
Step 4: Complete the Healing Treatment
After the visualisation of release, carry on with your Reiki healing treatment to its full conclusion. Seal the aura, ground your client and conclude the session with feedback. It would also be advisable to book a follow-up Reiki session with your clients to support their healing process going forward.
Please note: Within this visualisation, use one red balloon for each emotion to be released. Try not to do too many emotions all at once as this could be overwhelming. This visualisation could also be used as a stand-alone guided meditation for self and others.
Article by Thea van der Merwe, Ph.D.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Thea van der Merwe, Ph. D. is a nationally and internationally trained holistic energy, certified and experienced Master Reiki Practitioner, qualified in Usui Reiki, Reijukido, Karuna® Reiki, Karuna Ki Reiki, Crystal Reiki, and Gendai Reiki. She obtained the title of Shihan (full master/teacher), the highest level in Gendai Reiki Ho. Besides her greatest passion which is Reiki, Thea is also a spiritual shaman, healer, and teacher, offering readings as a way of accessing spiritual guidance. Her journey of personal discovery, growth, and healing started back in 2005 when she was personally in need of healing and searching for something more than what conventional medicine and therapy could provide. Thea is currently nationally and internationally registered with the South African Reiki Masters Association and The Reiki Healing Association respectively – both professional associations for the local and global Reiki communities, working to promote the wide-reaching practice and healing effects of Reiki throughout the world and where the primary philosophy is that together, we can do so much more. You can get into contact with Thea van der Merwe at viterra.co.za, which is her website, and at facebook.com/viterrahealing on Facebook.