Article by Angie Webster
The Earth, our bodies, and our energy systems are made to be in sync with each other and will naturally fall into alignment with each other when given the chance. We are typically indoors a great deal of the time where energy does not move as freely and we are more disconnected from Earth energy. We also use many electrical and technological devices which alter the natural flow of energy in our bodies, creating static and interference. Of course, homes and devices are important parts of our lives, so it can be very helpful to find a way to balance the time that we spend indoors with technology and that which we spend outdoors with nature.
Outdoors we can sense the openness and free movement of energy all around us, especially in spaces that are not blocked by many buildings. Places where there are trees or other plant life feels energetically open and vibrant, as well. Being outside in this free flowing energy is renewing to our life force. It is both grounding and uplifting. It can help to reduce pain, renew energy levels, reduce stress and clear your head.
Even in a city, where there are many buildings and apartment complexes, you can find little pockets of openness where the energy flows a little more freely. Maybe a small opening where buildings are not as closely situated together, or a park, or a tree, or a patch of grass near your building. If you are keeping your eyes open for these places, you will find many areas of natural beauty where you can easily sense Earth energy, even within a city. You can learn to feel for an openness in the energy. To me it feels like a gentle coolness which softly flows around me. Earth energy is not easily constrained and though it may be less noticeable in some places, it is all around us supporting life cycles. I have even noticed trees on rooftops!
It is a great idea to go outside at least once every day for a few minutes. If the weather permits, take your shoes off and put your bare feet on the Earth. Take a few deep belly breaths in the fresh air and gaze up at the sky for a bit. Even if you can only go to your open window or to your door and do this, it helps. The energy is different in the day time than at night, under the stars. You may enjoy going outdoors in the evening even more than you do in the daytime! Or maybe you will enjoy the energy of each.
An excellent way to renew your energy and reconnect with the Earth is to do this short healing practice:
- Spread a blanket on the ground in an area that has wonderful free flowing Earth energy. This can be done in the daytime or at night. You might want to consider using a natural insect repellent or essential oils.
- Lay down and place your hands palms down on the Earth. Begin to tune in to the energy in your own body and the energy that flows from the Earth. Breathe gently from your diaphragm and allow the breath to flow all the way to your low belly. Notice your energy connecting with the energy of the Earth.
- Send loving intention to the Earth and thank her for supporting you and all of life. Thank your body for supporting your life. Feel the Earth blessing you. Enter into an energy exchange with the Earth, sending her loving energy as she sends it back to you. Feel how this strengthens, supports and heals you.
- Feel the sun (or the moon) shining down upon you, energizing you. Thank it for all it does to support you and all of life. Feel the sun (or the moon) blessing you. Enter into an energy exchange with the sun (or the moon), sending it loving energy as it sends it back to you. Feel how this energizes, supports and heals you.
- Once you feel the exercise is complete for you, thank the energy for all it has done.
As you do this exercise, notice how you feel and also take note of any life that is around you as you do the exercise. Note how your body responds as you absorb the energy of the Earth, the sun or the moon and how you feel afterwards.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master Teacher and author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She also teaches classes and workshops about Reiki and spiritual growth. She works often with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Infinite Reiki, Infinite Healing: How Energy Medicine Healed my Life and What It Can do for Yours. Reiki and a healthy lifestyle contributed to her healing after a 20-year struggle with neurological and chronic pain issues. She comes out the other side with a new perspective on life and now seeks to empower others, guiding them back to their own innate healing abilities. You can follow her at: angie-webster-healing.thinkific.com, https://www.facebook.com/HolisticSpirituality, http://www.serenityenergyhealing.com/