I have many potential clients making enquiries regarding “opening” their Third Eye through one or more of my holistic therapies. Many find it difficult to understand that a Third Eye awakening or opening is not just a switch you can flip and VOILÀ! now you have instant access to your intuition, your four basis Clair senses of Clairaudience, Clairvoyance, Clairsentience, and Claircognizance, and an array of other possible psychic abilities.
Just like anything else in life it takes knowledge, effort, and practice to awaken and fine-tune the abilities the Third Eye has to offer. So, let us look at a few thoughts in this regard…
My Number 1 Rule
A Third Eye awakening (rather than opening) MUST be part of a holistic healing process where the whole energy body is brought to balance. The Third Eye is an integral part of the entire chakra system and cannot be awakened in isolation, particularly if the remaining chakras remain unattended, unbalanced, and blocked. The status of our energy body will determine our ability to be comfortable with what we receive through an awakened Third Eye, trust that we are safe and protected in what we receive, and translate everything we receive through a balanced heart-space of compassion and unconditional love.
As part of a Third Eye awakening process, a first healing session should therefore be focused on a chakra balance. It may be advisable to schedule a few Reiki sessions and provide your client with the necessary guidance to support them in chakra care and maintaining a balanced chakra system.
My Number 2 Rule
Work on trusting your intuition. The foundation of what we receive through our Third Eye is non-verbal communication. It is communication from our Soul, our Higher Self, and from all our guides, teachers, inspirers, and healers from the spiritual realm. Intuition is that calm inner knowing that is distilled from what we receive through the Third Eye. So, we need to ask ourselves… Am I listening to my intuition? Am I trusting my intuition? Am I allowing my intuition to guide me? You may want to journal your thoughts and processes here as a way of getting in touch with and understanding that inner knowing that intuition is providing you with. Paying attention to your intuition and allowing its guidance is a prerequisite to an awakening of the Third Eye as it creates a foundation for what is yet to come with an awakening of the Third Eye.
My Number 3 Rule
Be aware of the dangers of a Third Eye awakening if you are in a low vibrational state, or without balancing your other chakras. When we are exposed to other realms and dimensions through a Third Eye awakening and we are not in a high and balance vibrational state, it is possible to overwhelm our psyche, potentially causing nightmares, anxiety, insomnia, and even depression. We may suffer from a range of negative physical, mental/emotional, and spiritual experiences.
Reiki treatments are excellent in supporting such a high and balanced vibrational state, allowing for a Third Eye awakening to be a safe and pleasant experience.
My Number 4 Rule
Stay grounded! Grounding is all too often neglected – in many of our spiritual practices and particularly in a Third Eye awakening. Grounding is essential to prevent delusions that may be brought about by a Third Eye awakening from taking over our lives. There are many practices, including Reiki that we can use to facilitate grounding. Find what works best for you.
My Number 5 Rule
Practice, Practice, Practice! Find appropriate and regular practices to support the process of your Third Eye awakening. Remember, it is not an event but rather a process and as with any process, the more you do, the more you will be able to do. Here are a few ideas…
- Do regular Reiki healing (self-healing or with another Reiki practitioner) to maintain a high and balanced vibrational state.
- Meditate regularly to help you connect to and increase your awareness of your intuitive senses and the Third Eye communication that you are receiving. Meditation is also a tool for chakra haling and balancing, supporting a high vibrational state.
- Keep a dream, intuition, or meditation journal as a way of gaining insight into your unconscious mind. It is only when we bring the unconscious into our conscious awareness that an awakening can occur.
- Use healing crystals to support a safe and pleasant Third Eye awakening. You can meditate with your crystals, incorporate them into your self-healing sessions, place them in your work and/or living spaces, wear them as jewelry, or just carry them with you. There are many crystals to choose from e.g., Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Labradorite, Sodalite, Azurite, Black Obsidian, Citrine, Clear Quartz, Iolite, Lepidolite, Moonstone, Purple Fluorite, Black Tourmaline, Kyanite, and Turquoise. Find what resonates with you and allow your intuition to guide you. Also, be mindful that as the awakening process unfolds the crystals that resonate with you may change – be open to this process.
- Spend time in nature. This allows you to detach and escape from the “noise” of work, responsibilities, to-do lists, social media, electronics, etc. Being in nature is calming and grounding, supporting, and healing you to better connect with and access your intuition.
Everyone will have a unique experience with an awakening of their Third Eye. Honour your own individual experience with love and compassion. Pay attention and be aware. And embrace every aspect of the process as your Inner Guide unfolds and expands.
Article by Thea van der Merwe, Ph.D.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Thea van der Merwe, Ph. D. is a nationally and internationally trained holistic energy, certified and experienced Master Reiki Practitioner, qualified in Usui Reiki, Reijukido, Karuna® Reiki, Karuna Ki Reiki, Crystal Reiki, and Gendai Reiki. She obtained the title of Shihan (full master/teacher), the highest level in Gendai Reiki Ho. Besides her greatest passion which is Reiki, Thea is also a spiritual shaman, healer, and teacher, offering readings as a way of accessing spiritual guidance. Her journey of personal discovery, growth, and healing started back in 2005 when she was personally in need of healing and searching for something more than what conventional medicine and therapy could provide. Thea is currently nationally and internationally registered with the South African Reiki Masters Association and The Reiki Healing Association respectively – both professional associations for the local and global Reiki communities, working to promote the wide-reaching practice and healing effects of Reiki throughout the world and where the primary philosophy is that together, we can do so much more. You can get into contact with Thea van der Merwe at viterra.co.za, which is her website, and at facebook.com/viterrahealing on Facebook.