The concept of Peace seems to be nothing more than an elusive fantasy during present times. The grim evidence is all around us in the form of war, natural disasters, pandemics, global corruption, inequality, and so forth.
This uncertain climate makes it easy to sink into despair, cynicism, and hopelessness. But underneath the chaos, Peace, as an emissary of love, is always with us and within our grasp. True lasting peace is part of our birthright as children of the Divine. It dwells in our hearts and souls eternally and is always present, even through challenging and difficult times.
However, living in a human body on Earth creates a “great forgetting” of the truth that we are spiritual beings. This forgetting is designed so we can complete the agreed-upon lessons before coming into body. It is also important to remember that every one of us has chosen to be here now to assist humanity and the planet through the shift into the New Consciousness. Included in that choice is losing access to universal knowledge, which is an integral part of the life plan. In essence, we must experience everything human life offers without the benefit of having all the answers.
The human heart is the physical representation of the eternal soul. It symbolizes universal love, caring, and acceptance; in essence, the understanding that all is connected to and part of the Divine. When the heart is truly open, peace flourishes, our divine spark ignites, and the resultant flame fuels the free flow of universal love and light, unfettered by limitations of the physical world. This energy generated by universal love unites everything and represents our oneness with All That Is. And it begins with an open, Peaceful Heart.
We know that human life on planet Earth burdens our hearts. And unfortunately, burdens can cause some to harden their hearts as a form of protection, even though this precludes access to a deep and fulfilling life. Because, as humans, we have a primal instinct to protect our hearts. So, what are we to do while living in a human body during unprecedented challenging times when it feels as if peace is merely a vague, abstract concept? Why should we cultivate a peaceful heart?
Why Cultivate a Peaceful Heart?
Spirit created the Peaceful Heart long before we came into a human body. The Peaceful Heart is a gift -the natural state in which we are aligned and one with Spirit. All is well within us in that place, creating a vibration of love, rippling outward. Peace on Earth begins with inner peace and ends with inner chaos. As within, so without. Our lives are intentionally and eternally intertwined with the lives of others; duality is an illusion.
By design, earthly life disrupts the Peaceful Heart as we live the human experience. Therefore, our task is to reclaim, nurture, and cultivate that inherent peace as a refuge to which we return throughout our lives. This task becomes especially true and necessary when encountering inevitable hardships and challenges. Accessing our inner Peaceful Heart allows us to be fully present and heart-centered in any given moment, regardless of external circumstances. In that place of peace, we acknowledge and accept our birthright as children of the Divine.
What is Reiki’s Role in Cultivating the Peaceful Heart?
Those of us who practice Reiki enjoy a unique relationship with Spirit which offers access to cultivating a Peaceful Heart through intention and the loving support of Reiki. In effect, we are Reiki emissaries of Peace and it is incumbent upon us to co-create a peaceful world, beginning with ourselves. And as always, Reiki gives us precisely what we need to make lasting peace a global reality. To that end, Reiki and Spirit graciously provided the following suggestions and tools described below.
The value of daily intentional self-treatment cannot be overstated. Indeed, it is the gold standard of self-care for Reiki practitioners. I have described the countless benefits of self-Reiki in previous articles, which include forging a profound relationship with Reiki, deep personal and spiritual healing, and accelerated spiritual development, to name a few. Cultivating the Peaceful Heart is yet another benefit. As we invite Reiki into our personal healing, our hearts readily respond to the deep peace bestowed by Reiki and re-awaken to its call. In my self-practice, I focus on the heart space/chakra and the emotions of love, such as compassion, gratitude, kindness, and forgiveness. As Reiki flows, my heart opens, softens, and expands, encompassing everything and everyone as it does so. The resulting outward ripple is infinite, carrying the vibration of love. It is a beautifully powerful and often emotional experience. I encourage all Reiki emissaries to engage in daily self-care to cultivate the Peaceful Heart.
2. The Reiki Precepts
Applying the five precepts in our daily lives cultivates and nurtures the Peaceful Heart as described in the following. And always invite Reiki to assist you.
- Let go of Anger
- Intentionally allowing ourselves to release anger instead of holding it tight teaches us the value of response versus reaction. Response involves taking notice when our anger is triggered, pausing, and focusing on a solution. Reaction is instinctive and allows emotions to take control, exacerbating the problem. Remember that emotions are not the problem, but what we do with them can be.
- When faced with a difficult situation, take a deep breath as you bring in the energy of Reiki. Take a moment to observe how you feel, and mindfully shift to a possible solution. It often helps to gather information; for example, asking a child what happened to the broken vase instead of scolding or yelling. When we practice responding, we let go of anger, thereby creating more space for peace in our hearts.
- Let go of worry
- Chronic worrying is an indication of not being fully present or grounded. As Reiki practitioners know, staying grounded is a crucial aspect of wellness and essential in a Reiki practice. However, worry tends to creep in despite our best efforts. Reiki taught me the best antidote to worry is to focus on the Now, accepting that the past is behind us and the future is yet to be. True peace thrives in the Now, much like the calm in the eye of a storm. When we live in the Now, we do not forsake our plans or future; indeed, we are better equipped to manifest them. Therefore, balancing life in the Now while simultaneously preparing for the future is eminently feasible – they are not mutually exclusive. Peace lives and thrives in the Now, for the Now is all we have. As Reiki recently told me, “Be grateful for Now. The eternal and peaceful Now lives only in the present.”
- Be grateful
- As an emotion of love, gratitude vibrates at a high frequency, and practicing gratitude inevitably raises our personal vibration. Peace also occupies a love frequency, so it is no coincidence that practicing gratitude makes us feel more peaceful. Indeed, an intentional gratitude practice cultivates and nourishes the peace within us. Gratitude is necessary as we strive to nurture and expand our Peaceful Hearts. Focus on moments of gratitude throughout the day and allow the feeling to swell and grow within your Peaceful Heart. As a bonus, experiencing gratitude brings us instantly into the Now.
- Work honestly and with devotion
- Doing something that nourishes our hearts and souls generates peace within us. Our work can take many forms, but its form is far less important than the feelings it creates within us. When we approach each task with anticipation and curiosity, our vibration naturally rises to meet that feeling. Even mundane or generally unappealing chores can generate anticipation. For example, washing dishes can become a sensory delight in feeling the warmth of the water, observing the iridescence of the soap bubbles, the squeak of the clean dishes, and the comfort derived from an ageless ritual.
- Separate from the mundane, however, are those practices that nurture our soul, fire our passion, and by extension, our peace. If you’re reading this, Reiki is likely one of them. We can invite Reiki into every activity and practice we engage in, thereby elevating and expanding the vibration of what already fuels our wellness. In doing so, our Peaceful Hearts are uplifted and nourished.
- Be kind
- As with gratitude, compassion, and forgiveness, kindness is a love emotion and vibrates at a very high frequency. Every act of kindness, no matter how small, or seemingly inconsequential, creates an infinite ripple of love energy, affecting everything and everyone without end. The ripples are compounded and accelerated by additional kindnesses and do much to elevate the planet’s frequency and that of Her inhabitants. As kindness grows, so does peace. When we commit to kindness to all, our Peaceful Hearts rejoice. Increased peace leads to increased kindness, and the ever-widening circle of love envelops us all, moving us into a higher frequency. Kindness always matters.
3. Reiki Gatherings
Spending time in the company of like-minded souls cultivates the Peaceful Heart. Virtual or in-person Reiki trades, Reiki shares, group distant Reiki sessions, or even informal conversations contribute to our well-being and peace. The feeling of acceptance in the presence of those with whom we can be ourselves expands and nourishes the Peaceful Heart.
4. Time in Nature
Connecting with the natural world cultivates the Peaceful Heart. Time spent among the gifts of Mother Earth naturally fills our souls and deepens our gratitude and appreciation for all She does. Placing our hands on a tree, offering gratitude and Reiki for its strength and wisdom, always creates a deep sense of peace and quiet joy. And when we offer Reiki to Mother Earth to assist Her healing, She reciprocates and provides healing to us. This mutual healing contributes infinite ripples of high-vibration love energy surrounding the planet and Her inhabitants.
5. Experience Stillness.
Spending quiet time with ourselves, free of distraction, leads to greater understanding and appreciation of who we are. Dedicating even ten minutes daily for complete stillness is a significant investment in our spiritual evolution. As we do so, we become reacquainted with our essence and recognize the presence of a deep and quiet peace within. Embracing and accepting our true and eternal Self helps us better understand our roles of service as we navigate the turbulent path to the New Consciousness.
Clearly, as Reiki practitioners and emissaries of Peace, we have many opportunities to cultivate our Peaceful Hearts in service to all who dwell on Earth. And when our Peaceful Hearts flourish, we become a haven unto ourselves. A place of refuge and peace, regardless of what life may bring. So let us stand in service now to co-create and cultivate an enduring energy of global Peace that begins with each of us.
Article by Kathleen Johnson
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Kathleen Johnson is a Usui/Holy Fire III Reiki Master, a Kundalini Reiki Master, and a Certified Crystal Healer. As a Spiritual Teacher & Mentor, she assists others in discovering their unique path to wellness, wholeness, and authenticity. Kathleen is also a Certified Past-Life Soul Regression Therapist, and infuses Reiki into her work with clients’ past lives.
She is the Founder of UniverSoul Heart, LLC, a holistic healing and wellness practice based in Pennsylvania, USA. Kathleen enjoys teaching all levels of Reiki classes, from Level I through Master/Teacher, and is honored to assist others on the Reiki path. She also offers “Crystal Basics” and “Finding Your Life Mission” workshops for those wishing to deepen and enrich their self-knowledge at the soul level.
Kathleen was a co-host and presenter at the Reiki Rays Spring 2018 Summit, and also presented at the Winter 2018 and Spring 2019 Summits. She is passionate about raising awareness of the benefits of Reiki and holistic wellness and enjoys speaking to public and private groups.
As part of her commitment to raising awareness, Kathleen has been a featured guest in many radio interviews and is the host of "UniverSoul Heart Radio with Kathleen Johnson- Sensible Spirituality for Everyday Living", broadcast on Transformation Talk Radio.
Kathleen was selected as Top Reiki Master of the Year for 2019 by the International Association of Top Professionals (IAOTP) for her outstanding leadership, commitment, and dedication.
Writing is a passion for Kathleen, and her many articles about Reiki and Spirituality are published on Reiki Rays and in Reiki News Magazine. She is currently gathering information for a book and knows that Reiki will be with her every step of the way.
Kathleen’s website is www.universoulheart.net, and her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find her on Facebook at UniverSoulHeartReiki, on Instagram @kathleen_johnsonrmt and on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/universoulheart/