Colour is part of our everyday lives. We often incorporate certain colours into what we wear, what we eat, and what we surround ourselves with as a conscious or even subconscious way to express or even heal ourselves at a physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual level.
One of the simplest ways to charge and balance the energy body is to simply, for a short while at least, stand or sit outside in the full sunlight to allow yourself to be charged with all the colours of the spectrum. And as with any other form of healing, setting your intention to be charged with the healing energy of the sun is paramount. Doing this is very soothing, balancing, and rejuvenating… even healing, but it is not always possible to do. Through colour therapy we can consciously use colour to change our energy – to lift a mood, to relax ourselves, or to energise ourselves.
Colour therapy is a field of study and method of healing in its own right. However, it can be used to complement many other forms of healing, and particularly with Reiki healing, by being consciously aware of the healing properties of colour, e.g.:
- White is the colour of purity and heals all aspects of our being – body, mind and spirit at all levels. White can be used to alleviate chronic and acute pain. It can also be used to increase and maintain our energy, especially when we are suffering from depression and lack of motivation. Sunlight is pure white light and when we are deprived of sunlight we may suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which is a form of depression. Finally, we are reminded that where there is light, darkness can be kept at bay, thus protecting us from negative energy in our energy body.
- Red is the colour associated with our base chakra and all aspects related to this chakra – survival, passion, warmth, strength and vitality. Red can be used to energise our entire energy body and increase our vitality. It is also a good colour with which to stimulate our immune system. Red is supportive of increasing our enthusiasm and interest in life and to alleviate feelings of insecurity, fear and anxiety.
- Orange is a gentler energising colour that red and is associated with our Sacral chakra, joy and hope. It can be used to alleviate feelings of depression, shock, stress, bleakness, boredom, resentment and the inability to let go of the past. On a physical level orange can be used to address issues related to aching limbs and muscles, the gall bladder, kidney and menstruation.
- Yellow is the Solar Plexus colour and associated with intellect, self-esteem, self-worth and personal power. It is the go-to colour for optimism and sociability, balancing our emotions and supporting clarity of thought. On a physical level yellow can be used to stimulate the immune system when we are suffering from minor but frequent illnesses and allergies, particularly food allergies and intolerances. Due to the ability of yellow to calm and balance the nervous system, it is a good colour for nervous exhaustion, “burn out”, poor memory, anxiety and stress-related ailments, memory and concentration.
- Green is the colour of associated with the Heart chakra and all aspect that relate to the heart on a physical, mental/emotional and spiritual level. It is the colour of balance and renewal – particularly where it comes to our physical health where green supports our ability to renew tissue and cell growth. On an energy level, green supports us in our relationships and in pursuing new ideas and change without being restricted by fear of the unknown. Being associated with the organs in the Heart chakra, green strengthens the heart, lungs and respiratory system.
- Blue is associated with the Throat chakra and our ability to communicate with integrity and truth. Blue can be used where there is a need to calm feelings of being agitated or chaotic and there is a need for peace, tranquillity, detachment and rest. Due to the calming nature of blue, it is a god colour to naturally sooth and cool the physical body, to lower blood pressure and slow the heartrate. Blue can also be used to alleviate aches, pains and discomforts related to the head, neck/throat, ears, eyes and head, e.g., eye strain, earache, sore throat, headache and migraines.
- Purple the colour associated with the Crown chakra, our spirituality and our wisdom. Purple can be used to aid us when we need to rebalance our lives, when we need to remove obstacles from our lives and when we need to integrate new skills into our everyday lives. It is especially beneficial for healing the spirit and banishing what lies in the past and which no longer serves our higher selves. It is aften referred to as the all-healer of body, mind and spirit. On a physical level it can support relief from sleep disorders, allergies, asthma and all ailments related to the head (eyes, ears, nose and skin) – also headaches and migraines. Purple can also be used to ease neuroses, addictions, phobias and obsessions.
- Pink is usually associated with the Heart chakra and unconditional love. It is a calming colour that can be used in any aggressive or threatening situation to bring serenity and balance. It reduces tension and can help calm the mood. On a physical level pink can be used for relief from ear problems, gland problems, headache pains and many disorders relating to children and babies.
- Brown is a warm and stable colour that can be used to create a feeling of comfort, safety and security. It can be used to absorb pain and sorrow, enabling us to let go of past hurts. Brown can also increase physical energy levels and core strength. Being associated with the base chakra and grounding, brown could be used to relieve conditions related to the feet, legs, hands, back (particularly lower-back) and the large intestine.
This is not an exhaustive list and colours such as turquoise, black, grey, and silver all have their own characteristics and contribution to the health and wellbeing of body, mind and spirit.
I generally do not include colour therapy directly into the actual Reiki treatment. However, the use of colour is a useful tool to aid clients that need to take some practical advice back with them. Incorporating colour into their every-day lives after a Reiki treatment will extend the effects of that Reiki treatment. I often advise clients as part of the follow-up to the Reiki session on the use of colour to aid in addressing some pertinent issues, e.g.:
- Insomnia is a common problem that many of us suffer from. Apart from relaxation techniques and suggestions about sleep-routines, it may be a good idea to incorporate sleep enhancing colour therapy techniques into our daily lives. Avoiding “red” foods and focussing on “blue” foods, particularly during an evening meal, is a good starting point. Bedrooms also need to be calm and colours such as pale green, pink, blue and lilac can be incorporated to create an environment that would enhance sleep.
- Healing from low self-esteem and feeling “blue” can be supported with incorporating yellow and orange into an office or home environment. One of my personal favourites is to encourage clients to buying themselves a bunch of flowers – it is uplifting and a good step towards self-care rolled in one. Yellow sunflowers (or other seasonal flowers in yellow) are an excellent choice!
- We often do not feel grounded in our everyday lives. Grounding can be facilitated by incorporating brown, black and red into everyday life – underwear and socks in these colours could have the desired grounding effect and are easy, doable fixes.
- With the rollercoaster lives we have been exposed to because of the Covid pandemic, many people feel thrown off balance and find it difficult to regain and maintain balance. Reiki is very supportive of regaining balance and maintaining this new balance can be further reinforced by focussing on green. Being in the middle of the colour spectrum, green is balancing, calming and soothing. On an instinctual level it reminds us of our ability to evolve and survive because where there is green, there is water and food… sustenance. Incorporating green in our diet and décor is a good place to start focussing on balance.
Colour can bring energy into our space and energy body to support healing, balance, and a sense of wellbeing. It can easily and effortlessly be incorporated into our diets, our fashion, and our décor. Take note of the colour of the soap you use to wash your hands and the colour of your coffee mug… colour is everywhere and in the simplest things of our everyday lives. We just need to be aware of colour and the power these colours – to support us on a daily basis and more so when we combine it with Reiki.
Please stay tuned for my next article where I will discuss Reiki Complimented with Counselling.
Article by Thea van der Merwe
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Thea van der Merwe, Ph. D. is a nationally and internationally trained holistic energy, certified and experienced Master Reiki Practitioner, qualified in Usui Reiki, Reijukido, Karuna® Reiki, Karuna Ki Reiki, Crystal Reiki, and Gendai Reiki. She obtained the title of Shihan (full master/teacher), the highest level in Gendai Reiki Ho. Besides her greatest passion which is Reiki, Thea is also a spiritual shaman, healer, and teacher, offering readings as a way of accessing spiritual guidance. Her journey of personal discovery, growth, and healing started back in 2005 when she was personally in need of healing and searching for something more than what conventional medicine and therapy could provide. Thea is currently nationally and internationally registered with the South African Reiki Masters Association and The Reiki Healing Association respectively – both professional associations for the local and global Reiki communities, working to promote the wide-reaching practice and healing effects of Reiki throughout the world and where the primary philosophy is that together, we can do so much more. You can get into contact with Thea van der Merwe at viterra.co.za, which is her website, and at facebook.com/viterrahealing on Facebook.