≡ Menu

Process over Product

As a general rule most people are lazy; not intentionally but habitually, they don’t even know they are being lazy, but that’s how habits work. We do stuff on automatic pilot without any real thought as to what we are doing or why. When we come to achievement or learning new stuff we tend to apply the same mind set and try to follow a route of least resistance and look for the easy option, the quick fix, or the ‘’secret’’ to instant success.

Now the thing is, there is a secret to success; but when you tell people what it is they tend to say “Oh…I don’t like that secret, have you got another one, a one that’s quicker and easier’’? As with a lot of profound things in life the answer is very simple, the secret to success and achievement is to put the work in. Putting the work in may not be inspirational but it is practical and by and large guaranteed to achieve the results you desire. Unfortunately, we are living in a time where society values image over substance and celebrity status over real talent and genuine personality.

Usually, the phrase “working smarter not harder’’ is used to justify the desire to fast track their progress, but learning is much more than the collection of information and getting from A to B as quickly as possible. One of the smartest lessons to learn is to recognise the work and commitment that has to be invested to achieve the results you desire. The old adage is “the devil is in the detail’’ an addendum to this phrase would be “success is in the process’’ and not in the end result.

Process over Product

Image by KANENORI

Instant success brings with it instant problems and challenges you will be totally unprepared to deal with because you lack the underpinning knowledge and the depth of understanding better known as “experience’’ to deal with them. Certificates on the wall may appear impressive to those who are easily impressed, but their true worth is in the courage, determination and personal commitment it took to earn them. The world is full of people who half heartedly desire the success and rewards achieved by others, but have no idea of what dedication means or the sacrifices made to make the dream the reality. Winners are the 2% who do what the other 98% can’t or won’t do, to adapt and overcome the challenges and obstacles facing us in everyday life.

The goal or achievement often appears distant or beyond our reach, but the tiny step necessary to realise the dream is right in front of us, all we have to do is find the courage to take the step and move forward. Sighting our goal gives us purpose and direction but success is secured through the process and not the end result.

Article by Phillip Hawkins

Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.


Phillip Hawkins
Phillip Hawkins

A Reiki practitioner since 1999, Phillip started teaching Reiki in 2000 and using those skills and abilities he has spent the majority of the last seventeen years working with a wide range of social and educational needs including Autism and ADHD. Working with addicts dependent on alcohol and drugs, people whose lives were extremely violent and abusive, and others who had to deal with severe mental health issues. This has enabled him to work extensively in the private sector, schools, colleges, education and care in the community, the prison service and psychiatric units.

In 2016, Phillip decided to semi-retire from full-time employment to concentrate on developing his career as a published author and the setting up of his Reiki personal development programme at the Chilton Community College.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment