Being an energy worker, I am always trying to figure creative and practical ways of fusing energy work in daily life. Recently, I have embarked on a new personal journey – that of being a mother. As usual, I am eagerly and proactively thinking of ways to fuse energy healing through daily activities for my newborn.
In India, most of us follow a tradition to massage the baby with organic oils to promote bone health, muscle development and blood circulation. Another reason why this is encouraged is to enhance the mother-baby bonding through physical contact (assuming that the mother is massaging the baby). My newborn initially, was not very welcoming of the idea of getting an oil massage and would relentlessly cry till bath time was done – until now. What changed? Well, I fused Reiki with my oil massages. It’s simple, easy and effective and something even Reiki Level one practitioners can fuse in their routines with their infants.
It begins with fusing the oil with Reiki energy and setting clear intentions of health, vitality and happiness. This can be done by simply holding the bottle or oil canister between your hands and channeling Reiki energy to it. You don’t need to do this everyday, but can do it as often as you like.
The next thing is the massage itself. Take some oil in your palms and rub them together to spread it evenly on your hands. Start with the scalp and gently massage this oil channeling Reiki to your infant. Moving down to the face, the shoulders, neck and arms imagine or intend this light to fill your baby with peace, health, happiness and blessings. Move towards to torso and slowly down the legs to the soles of the feet. Remember to massage the back and hips as well. Keep topping up the oil in your palms as and when needed.
Since I am clairvoyant, I visualize light flowing into my baby’s being through my hands. You can choose to imagine it this way or work with your gifts. In addition to this, what works wonders for me is that I invoke the Angels to be present and fuse their love and healing in the session.
This is an amazing experience and ever since I have begun doing this my baby has begun enjoying her massage and bath time. And a small note from my personal experience – you don’t need to be silent and serious through it all. Take this as your personal time between you and your baby (for me it is me, my baby and my Angels). Make it fun, say stories and take the initiative to use this as an interactive time with your baby. Reiki and the Angels are both highly intelligent energies and will continue to fuse love and healing irrespective of whether you are constantly intending it or not. Just a pure intention in the beginning of the session is enough.
Once you are done with the massage you can bathe your baby with any baby product you may be using. Again, you can take this a step further and fuse the bathing water with Reiki and intend for it to cleanse, clear, heal and rejuvenate your baby.
Voila! You are done and you have successfully and creatively fused Reiki in one of your daily childcare practices.
P.S. A few things to keep in mind before you begin the massage:
- Babies are very sensitive to temperature changes. Hence, the room temperature should be maintained. So, put off the air conditioner/ fans – let the cool air escape then shut all the doors and windows and let your baby be in this environment for at least 5 mins to regulate their body temperature.
- Massage extremely gently. Baby bones and skin is extremely fragile and sensitive. Do not apply pressure. The pressure you use to rub your hands to spread the oil in your palms is enough for the massage.
- Always use lukewarm – hot water for the baby’s bath (depending on the weather wherever you are) Test the temperature of the water on the back of your hand to know if it is okay to use before you use it for the baby.
- Listen to your baby. Your baby will let you know in a day or two what they like and if things are okay or they need something altered. Be attentive and adapt to your baby’s needs.
- Right after bath, wrap up your baby in a towel and keep them warm. Once you have clothed them etc, ensure to let the room temperature be as it was during the massage at least for an hour after. It will help the baby ease in to a comfortable body temperature again. Swaddling the baby after their bath also helps them feel snug and safe.
Feel free to leave a comment here or write to me with your experiences with reiki and childcare.
Article by Sneha Khanna
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Sneha Khanna is a Growth Catalyst and Angel Medium who fuses her passion for energy work and mindfulness with practical ways of living. She truly believes that we are all superheroes – it is just a matter of discovering your superpowers and talents and effectively using them.
You can drop her an email at email@example.com for Intuitive Soul Therapy (Online), several Individual and Group Workshops (Online). You can also follow her page on www.facebook.com/snehasoulbalance and Instagram @sneha_soulbalance for uplifting and positive content.