These are troubled times. Does that feel to you like an understatement when we consider the circumstances we are all currently faced with? It does to me.
Where I am in the US, as in many parts of the world, devasting illness is spreading like wildfire. We fear for our loved ones. We fear for our own health, our own lives. We are losing trust in each other and have been mandated to keep our distance. The medical experts tell us to stay six feet away and no touching, no hugs, no handshakes. Those with compromised immune systems, the ill and the elderly, may even be afraid to go the grocery store. We are told to shelter in place and many of us are alone.
There is panic, shortages, lack of proper care and of reliable information and testing. We fear we will not have enough and that we will go hungry. Some of us are not able to work and not receiving temporary wages. We have bills to pay, mouths to feed and the world feels out of control. So how exactly does one keep one’s balance, stay centered and hopeful?
In this time of uncertainty, it is normal to feel upset, and out of sorts. Allow those feelings to come, acknowledge them and release them as best you can. As a healer you have a gift. Use your energy to affect change, to affect the mood of the planet. To bring hope to a darkened world.
Our personal and combined spiritual practices can and will affect the world around us. It is in these practices that we are gifted with the power to create real change, and real healing, in our world. We can shift energy. We can clear dark, heavy energy and replace it with love and light.
Here are some shamanic practices you can use to shift the energy during troubled times:
- Sit in meditation and reconnect to earth. Use your breath and your intention to reach out to your source of universal healing and strength. Center that energy to your heart and understand that you are not alone. You are connected to every living being. Sit quietly with that sense of oneness until you feel connected and a part of the whole.
- There is a web of light that surrounds our world, it is fed and nurtured by the good intentions and healing energy of all healers everywhere. It exists solely for the health of the earth and its people. It is evidence of the purest love and reflects the immense caring of all healers who offer up their healing for the greater good.
- With Shamanic healing, we can go into altered states to connect with our trusted helping spirits who can provide guidance and reassurance that our present circumstance will pass. We can use the power of our positive thoughts and energy to dream a better world into being.
- In shamanic journeying we use rattles to break up stagnant energy, drums, dance, and singing to deepen our practice and to strengthen our connection.
- If you are a beginner, start by getting to know your power animal, who you can call upon at any time for guidance and protection. We can visit the lower world and speak to a power animal. A power animal can help you learn about yourself and teach you deeper healing for yourself and others.
- We can journey to distant places in the middle world to visit with spirits in our physical reality or connect to a shell on the beach or an eagle atop of a majestic mountain. We can journey to the upper world to a future place in time where the issues of our day have all been resolved. We can speak to the ancient ones: our ancestors and elders and rely on their protection and wisdom.
- Watch for online opportunities to connect to in group meditation and healing circles. These are powerful effectors of change that will make you feel more a part of the whole and less alone. If you have the opportunity to reach out to others, just be kind. Some of us are afraid, and a smile or a kind word will brighten an otherwise difficult day. To some who is feeling lost, it may make all the difference.
- Send Reiki to the decision makers and to those who are affected. To those who may be ill and need healing and to those who are not ill, but just frightened.
- When you move among people – people who are troubled, angry and afraid, be the light. Let your calm energy influence those around you.
- Practice kindness, hold doors, hold eye contact, smile. Offer a helping hand, offer what you have and share it with those who need it. You will have enough; you will be taken care of. Share with those who can’t see that light, who don’t have the understanding and the peace that comes with connection to spirit and love and light. Bring hope to those who have none.
- Remain aware that our perception creates our reality. We need to be careful not to allow our fears to project suffering onto the world. To do the most good, we decide to see the world in divine light. We see our people, our family and our friends as healed and whole. We see our earth as being balanced and healthy, providing support for all beings.
There is much to learn about journeying. You may have extra free time, if so invest it in deepening your understanding of Shamanic practice.
Every intentional positive thought, every sincere hope for humanity, becomes part of the web of light. Our collective consciousness has real power to bring about change for the better.
Article by Patti Deschaine
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Patti Deschaine is a traditionally trained Usui Reiki Master, Lightarian Reiki Master, and owner of Maja Energy Works and Reiki Healing. She resides and practices in Wilmington, NC. She enjoys all types of Reiki and particularly loves using Reiki on animals. Patti can be found at http://