Article by João Antão Marques
Normally, in a Reiki treatment, we adopt the techniques suited to the patient/client needs and condition and then we pass the energy to the patient/client.
Generally, after activating hands we perform the scan, smooth the Aura, make our invocations (if this is our normal procedure), ground ourselves as well as client (it is highly recommended) and proceed with the treatment sequence we considered to be the adequate one or, follow one of the standards sequences used or, treat only the unbalanced spots/areas detected during the scan.
Dealing with elder people in a Red Cross Daily Centre, I am very often confronted with “complicated” emotional and physical conditions. Moreover, the time available to each treatment is sometimes reduced and the Reiki treatment has to be adapted accordingly (sometimes not more than 20 minutes).
The patients I deal with have ages well above eighty, some are very over ninety years, have low incomes and the majority has already lost their husbands/wives, also, the environment is poor in what human relations are concerned.
Frequently, after treating the patient, I sensed that their heads are still a little heavy and that more had had to be done but, due to the time constraints, I had to move along so, I decided to try to extract the negative energy instead of “giving” energy to balance and, so far, it is working.
- The preparation of the room is the usual one
- Activate hands
- Make your invocations as usual
- Protect yourself (a good protection is very important);
- Ground yourself and check your grounding during the procedure;
- Ground patient (very important) and check his/her grounding during the procedure;
- Give Reiki for a few minutes, on the shoulders or treat the areas where they have pains (knees, ankles…);
- Place your hands on the top sides of patient’s head;
- Start pulling the negative energy using your hands, as if they were a magnet, and send the energy to the earth through your roots.
- Check patient’s grounding and mentally circulate the energy – earth to patient, patient to your hands and from your hands to earth via your roots. Keep this movement for two or three minutes, or even more if you feel so.
- Before ending the treatment and keeping your hands on the patient’s head, give Reiki again for a couple of minutes.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
João Antão Marques, a retired chemical engineer, is an Usui Tibetan Reiki Master/teacher living in Lisbon, Portugal, with training in Jikiden Reiki, Karuna® Reiki and Seichim, Lotus Light Jewel, Tibetan Bowls Massage and Therapy of Past Lives. Works as a volunteer with elder people in a Daily Center of the Portuguese Red Cross and has also worked with drugs and alcohol addicted. Recently undertook a study of the effects of Reiki in people affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis. João can be reached by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.