Article by Carrie Anderson
Since September, Australia has been experiencing devastating fires. Images from satellites show that a significant portion of the continent is on fire. The fires spreadly rapidly and are difficult to control. It is currently estimated that over a billion animals have perished as a result of the fires, smoke, and heat.
The people of Australia are in desperate need of relief and assistance. Scientists fear that entire species of animals might be rendered extinct due to the fires. Additionally, countless amounts of flora are dying while old-growth forest burns.
Though, you might not live near Australia there are several ways that you can help.
- You can search for reputable organizations that are requesting donations. When donating, it’s always recommended to research the organization to make sure the funds are being primarily used for the stated reasons and not going towards administration costs. In times of crisis, unfortunately, scammers do come out to take advantage of the kind-hearted nature of those that are trying to help.
- Another way to assist is by crocheting, knitting, or sewing items to help the animals that have been injured in the wildfires. There are very specific guidelines on the items that are needed. There are groups on social media that can assist with these specifications. Certain materials, thickness, and sizes are required depending on the animal’s that the nests, bags, bowls, etc, are intended for.
- As Reiki practitioners, we can also assist by sending Reiki to Australia. We can choose to send it in a broad sense, to the entire continent. Or we can send Reiki, in a more definite way, to the people that live there, firefighters, EMS workers, the caretakers, volunteers, the native wildlife, farmed animals, the species brought from overseas and consider Australia their home, or the plants and trees that are also perishing.
Sending Reiki to Australia
- First, find images online. There are the satellite images that show the fires that are currently ravaging Australia. This could help you be specific in your intention for your Reiki. You might send Reiki to help bring rain. Images in the news show many of the animals and people that are in desperate need of aid. Perhaps, do a quick internet search on the types of flora and fauna, so that you can have a visual representation to help coalesce your intention for the Reiki healing energy. Once you have a good idea of how you want to use the Reiki energy, and the intent, even if it is for a general healing to help Australia, then move on to the next portion.
- Now, you can decide if you want to use some Reiki symbols. For reference, I am using the “Drawing Reiki Symbols Chart” provided by ReikiRays. This is a clear and concise way to see the symbols and to see what they can be used for and which is appropriate for your Reiki for Australia session. At the least, you will definitely need, Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen, the distance symbol. Personally, due to the drastic nature of this disaster and the multitude of needs, I think that all of the symbols can be used for this Reiki session.
- You can begin with a meditation or reflection upon this situation. Have your intention and any visuals that may assist you. Begin in gassho and gather the Reiki energy. Draw the symbols of your choosing (or repeat their names) three times. Send the healing energy of Reiki out towards Australia.
This practice can be done daily, in addition to any other way that you have found of helping.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Carrie Anderson is a Usui Reiki Master, Crystal Reiki Master, Animal and Pet Reiki Master, Grief Reiki Energy Healer, Teen Guided Meditation Facilitator. She works with several healing energy modalities: Color Therapy, Hand Mudras, Chakra Balancing, Reiki Space Clearning and Real Manifesting Practitioner. Carrie also has her 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training certification. Additionally, she enjoys volunteering at her local animal shelter. She is a member of Natural Healer Society and may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org