Article by Aparna Nanoti
Sleep is the cure developed by nature for rest and peace. From our childhood we are told that 6-8 hours of sleep is the best practice for a peaceful and good rest. Peaceful sleep helps rejuvenate mind, body and soul.
As time goes by, this peaceful pattern of sleep starts to shift. Sleep either evades us causing insomnia or though one sleeps for long hours, the body is still fatigued.
In these recent times, some of the attributes that lead to a disturbed sleep are internet surfing, chatting, long hours at work, stress, anxiety, long gruesome hours of travel from office location to home and unhealthy eating habits.
Thus, sleep is disturbed and it leads to anxiousness, restlessness, frustrations, disturbing dreams, recurring thoughts, so even though you sleep the mind is completely active and there is no relaxation.
Hence, when you wake up, the body and mind continue to feel tired, irritable and upset as you did not have a peaceful sleep.
Reiki, the universal “life-force energy” helps you sleep better and sets your sleep pattern for peaceful rest and complete relaxation. Practicing the following steps will help you set your sleep pattern. Kindly perform these exercises only when you are ready to sleep.
- Keep your mobile phone and laptop away from your bed.
- Adjust your pillows, sheet and air conditioner or fan, to avoid getting up.
- Sip some water so that you are hydrated.
- Lie down comfortably in whatever position you like.
- Stretch yourself 3 – 6 times to release all tension from the body.
- Clench your toes and fingers and release.
- Now, place your hands over your eyes, and tell yourself that it’s time to rest and sleep peacefully.
- Then, place both hands on either side of your chest, and tell yourself that all the events that happened during the day are for ‘your highest good’.
- Next place one hand above the navel and the other below the navel.
- Continue to inhale and exhale with long breathes, which will help you relax and you will start feeling sleepy.
These exercises are to assist you to have a peaceful sleep, relax your mind and body. While you may practice these exercises, kindly remember that they are not an alternative for your prescribed medication.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Aparna Nanoti is a software professional with an experience of 18 years in the IT industry. During the last couple of years, she realized she has a strong inclination towards Holistic healing. This urge for knowledge drove her to learn and practice Reiki Healing and Tarot Card reading. She is a Tarot and Angel card reader, Zibu Symbol & Switch word Advisor, Reiki Master, Spiritual Writer, Motivational Coach and Speaker. Her aim in life is to nurture and nourish lives that she touches with enthusiasm for living. For all your questions, you can reach Aparna on email@example.com or through her Facebook page at facebook.com/SeekYourGuidance