Article by Patti Deschaine
Reiki is a tremendous catalyst for spiritual growth. It is the process of using Reiki combined with meditation that connects us to the ancient energy that feeds and nourishes the spirit. It grounds and centers us in a way that focuses our vision and allows distractions to fall away. In this place of peace, our intuition is awakened, strengthened and heightened.
Connecting with earth energy is one of the most profound experiences available to us. It takes us outside the march of day to day activities of work, rest and play, and eases the stress that accompanies those activities. We connect to Reiki and immediately become more a part of the natural world. We feel the earth beneath us, we inhale and notice its damp musty odor and experience the depth of its history. How long has the very ground that you stand or sit on been here? How many beings, animals, strangers or ancestors have stood on this very spot? This plot of earth was here before our time and will be here long after we are gone. We are humbled by the enormity of its ancestral presence.
We turn our attention to our breath and initiate slow deep breathing. We are rooted to the earth, connected. Reiki flows through our hands, clearing, brightening, healing. We allow the energy to build until it forms a halo of light around us. A vibrant glow surrounds us, nourishing and protecting us. We envision the colors of each energy center, our chakras. Root chakra with its deep red hue. Sacral chakra is a vibrant orange, The Solar Plexus chakra: a bright yellow. The rich green of our Heart chakra rises to the blue of our Throat chakra. The Third Eye is indigo and our Crown chakra is violet. We place our hand on each chakra in turn and deeply and mindfully breathe. We fully envision the bold, deepening colors as we move through each center. We allow the energy to do its work, clearing and brightening as we go.
We are calm and centered, our body is still and relaxed. Perhaps we sit in stillness and let our active mind rest and reset. Perhaps there is a question we need answered. Or someone we want to connect with: a loved one who has passed, or a beloved animal past or present. A spirit guide or a long ago ancient ancestor we’ve never met in this lifetime or the spirit of the land that we live on. We don’t push, we breathe, we relax and take it easy, we allow the energy to envelop and direct us.
Perhaps there are profound visions and strong connections, or it could be that there is only quiet and peaceful contemplation. We ask our questions for the answers we seek. The answers will come in time as we are ready for them.
We sit with our energy until we reach a point where it is clear that the meditation is complete.
The beauty of meditation is that it can be as simple as plopping down on a rock or log in quiet contemplation, or more formalized with mood inspiring ritual. You can prepare your space using Reiki energy then add soothing candles, music, sage or incense. You can introduce other touches such as chanting “Om” or using singing bowls or other sounds to get to where you want to be in your connection. Or you can simply sit in stillness.
Meditation can be enhanced by holding a crystal in your hands or surrounding yourself and your aura, with several crystals. Crystals hold energy and work to amplify healing. You can lie down and place crystals on your body or simply sit comfortably and hold them in your hands.
If you want to include crystals in your work, here are some recommendations:
- Amethyst is always a good choice to open the third eye. Amethyst also has a calming influence. Use amethyst under your bed or pillow at night for peaceful rest.
- Vera Cruz Amethyst – a very high vibration crystal that will assist with opening the Crown chakra to a stronger flow of energy. This crystal is one of the rarer ones but it has a lovely violet hue and is often double terminated. Because it is rare you may only find smaller points, but even the tiniest of Vera Cruz points will hold tremendous power.
- Clear Quartz is one of the most easily attainable crystals. This versatile powerhouse amplifies energy and connection and clears negative vibrations. Even a small clear quartz crystal can be a powerful ally in directing and amplifying energy.
- Herkimer diamonds can assist in discovering and developing clairvoyant and clairaudient abilities. A beautiful transparent stone with gold tones, this stone often includes rainbows that shine and catch the light.
- Lemurian crystals are clear, pink or yellowish quartz that are said to contain the history of the Lemurian civilization in the grooves or horizontal bars that are its trademark.
- Angelite is wonderful for working with higher realms through connection to angels or spirit guides.
- Apophyllite – lovely clear diamond like clusters or pyramids. These stunning crystals invoke higher realms with their beauty, their shape and clear vibrational properties.
- Selenite – this crystal can clear, open and activate the crown chakra. Selenite does not requires clearing and can be used to clear energy in a room or to cleanse other crystals.
You can use crystals by simply holding them in your hand or you can lie down and place them in different areas of your body, such a colored crystal on each chakra. If you have enough crystals you can create a crystal grid around your body with a grounding stone at your feet (black tourmaline, shungite, and obsidian are lovely for grounding and protection) and higher vibrational crystals above your crown.
The choices you make for your meditation are yours alone and there is no perfect way to meditate. Use the method that suits your mood and your circumstances. Meditation and Reiki brings calm and clarity. It opens the way for clear intuition and connection with Spirit.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Patti Deschaine is a traditionally trained Usui Reiki Master, Lightarian Reiki Master, and owner of Maja Energy Works and Reiki Healing. She resides and practices in Wilmington, NC. She enjoys all types of Reiki and particularly loves using Reiki on animals. Patti can be found at http://