Article by Deborah Lloyd, Reiki Master
When we understand that relationships exist between our ancestors and ourselves, we begin to see countless opportunities to connect with our deceased loved ones – whether we knew them, or not, before their transitions to the other side. After death, our spirits continue to live, although in a different form. We retain our personalities as well as the parts of us that are healed and the parts that remain wounded. Our souls have opportunities to grow and gain further understanding, as we continue on the healing path, whether it is here within our earthly bodies, or it is on other planes after our transitions.
Because familial bonds never dissipate, we can assist each other in our healing paths. The spiritual world and the physical, earthly world are not as separate as we sometimes perceive. In fact, the veil between us is becoming thinner. Each realm of beings can help the other.
In some world religions, there is a strong emphasis in praying for the souls of the departed. This may be based on the belief that after death, a soul may be condemned to eternal damnation, and our prayers may be able to stop this divine decision. While this may seem extreme to some people, focusing our intentions for the highest good of those who are living on the other side is always beneficial.
Perhaps, there is some truth in praying for those who have left earth. Prayer is simply talking to the Divine in an intentional manner. Rather than focusing on a punishment that lasts into eternity, we can focus on assisting the soul to find healing – healing that it was unable to accomplish on earth. Many believe that each person is shown a life review – all the loving, wonderful thoughts and actions a person had during the lifetime, as well as all the unloving and hurtful thoughts and actions. The purpose is not to instill judgment, but rather to give the soul wisdom and more opportunities to become a totally loving soul.
Reiki can be utilized to connect to our ancestors and to assist them on their journeys of healing.
Here is one meditative exercise to connect to our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents:
- Settle into your relaxing space, quiet yourself and take several deep breaths.
- Do all the Reiki symbols, to which you have been attuned.
- Call your parents by name. (If you do not know their names, or any other relatives’ names listed, please call them by “mother”, “father,” etc.)
- In your third eye, picture them standing next to you – with your mother standing on your left side, and your father on your left side.
- Take your mother’s right hand, and your father’s left hand.
- Now, call your four grandparents’ names. Your mother will take the hand of one of her parents, and that parent will take the hand of the other. In the same way, your father will take the hand of one of his parents, and that parent will take the hand of the other.
- Now, call your eight great-grandparents’ names. It is common to not know the names of all eight great-grandparents – do not worry, just call on the “mother of my grandmother,” for example.
- The chain of hand-holding relatives will continue, with your mother’s grandparents on her side, and your father’s grandparents on his side.
- Now, visualize the circle closing, as the last great-grandparent on either side join hands.
- There are now 15 people in this beautiful family circle – you, two parents, four grandparents and eight great-grandparents.
- Send family love and healing Reiki energies around the circle. Each of them will participate in this loving embrace.
Feel free to be creative and add other changes or steps, as you feel inspired! There are many ways to connect to our ancestral lines – and all will benefit. This is another wonderful way to explore the unlimited possibilities of Reiki healing.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Deborah Lloyd is a Usui and Karuna® Reiki Master and certified holistic therapy practitioner, providing Reiki sessions and training in Asheville, NC. Deborah is the author of two books, 22 Messages from the Archangels; and, Believe and it is True: A Story of Healing and Life Lessons. She is also one of the co-authors of Reiki 101: 101 Answers for Your Reiki Questions. Reach Deborah at http://www.deblloydhealing.com/, email@example.com and at Deb Lloyd Healing on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/deblloydhealing)