Article by Taryn Walker
Receiving Reiki during pregnancy is a beautiful blessing for both mother and growing baby. The nurturing and healing vibration of Reiki can be exactly what a woman needs at this time, but the question of safety for the baby is almost always a concern.
How can we communicate Reiki in a way that assures pregnant women that is completely safe for their baby?
The way we talk about Reiki and how it works can all too easily scare people away. It is often better to avoid giving explanations that cannot be supported by socially accepted reasoning. Even if you feel comfortable with Eastern medical theory, if you’re practicing Reiki in a modern Western country, chances are that the majority around you aren’t so sure about “channeling energy”.
So how can we share our certainty that Reiki is always a safe practice?
- Focus on the receiver-driven response to Reiki treatment
- Both mother and baby respond to Reiki naturally due to the innate intelligence of the body. It’s the same intelligence that tells cells to multiply and grow into a human. Mom and baby receive exactly what they need from a Reiki treatment because their bodies already know how to heal and grow. The treatment simply activates this response through the deep relaxation effect of Reiki. The important point to get across is that the practitioner is not directing the treatment. The baby’s natural response drives the experience. Help the mother to trust in the intelligence of the human design.
- Now you can draw attention to how Reiki helps
- Here are a few examples of pregnancy-related issues that respond well to Reiki treatment: body aches, exhaustion, hormonal fluctuations, insomnia, heartburn, indigestion, excessive heat, nausea, memory loss, emotional instability and depression.
- Emphasize that Reiki is primarily a balancing treatment. This means that no matter what symptoms mother or baby are experiencing, Reiki treatment helps because it restores balance and that always enhances well-being. This means that any physical, mental and emotional challenges a pregnant woman may be facing can be greatly alleviated due to the balancing response of the body. It also means that if the mother and baby are healthy, Reiki helps to maintain the state of balance and prevent illness.
- Discuss how Reiki treatment offers emotional, mental and spiritual support. Reiki calms the mind and nervous system, which helps a pregnant woman to feel more at ease and less fearful. It brings a greater sense of trust that everything will be ok. Reiki treatment helps to feel more grounded and centered. Women who receive Reiki during pregnancy report feeling a deeper connection to their baby and to all of life.
- Gather testimonials from women who used Reiki treatment during their pregnancy
- It is always helpful to share actual human stories of how Reiki benefits during this special time. Each time you offer Reiki treatment to a pregnant woman, follow up to know the results so as to share with others who are curious about Reiki while expecting.
It is an honor to be able to offer Reiki treatment to pregnant women. Be mindful of how you speak about Reiki and adapt your language to ensure that you are helping to bring Reiki to more in need. May all mothers come to know Reiki as a gentle restorative treatment that is always safe for them and their little ones, even before birth.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Taryn Walker is a traveling Reiki Master Teacher who wishes to inspire people to realise that they are miraculous! She believes that Reiki can reveal our natural ability to heal ourselves and this empowers us to take responsibility for our lives. She works a lot with distant Reiki and loves the way it allows people to experience the illusion of separation. Taryn is grateful for being able to connect with her Reiki clients even while traveling. She usually lives on a little island in Thailand, where she practices and teaches Reiki, but finds ‘home’ wherever she is. Taryn enjoys yoga, nature, creating art, cooking and finding magic in “ordinary” places. Follow her here: http://reiki-alchemy.com/, http://www.facebook.com/alchemyhealing, and http://bit.ly/reikialchemyoutube.