Article by Deb Karpek
A while back I wrote a couple of articles entitled Illuminations to Bringing Your Reiki Practice to the Light and Ten Keys to Start Your Practice. I love the idea of sharing short bursts of information, which I like to call Illuminations. This way I can communicate my thoughts and experiences with you, in an easy to read format.
I am starting with Things Reiki Has Taught Me. Reiki has taught me a lot more than just these things, but these are my favorites. I’ve also added some questions to help you think about each Illumination. And while I’ve learned most of these things when I was developing and working in my Reiki practice, I use them in my life as well. This is how Reiki works for me – it gives me what I need when I need it. Perhaps before Reiki, I was aware of this information but I didn’t practice any of it, as I wasn’t ready. Reiki made me ready.
I hope you enjoy these Illuminations!
Be grateful for your practice, your clients, and your students. Give thanks to this magnificent life force energy that allows you to teach and practice. It is such a gift! Gratitude begets gratitude. Keep it moving.
- In what ways do you practice gratitude?
- Can you do a list every night of at least five things you are grateful for with regards to Reiki?
- How does this feel when you do it? Do you notice the shift?
Give without even thinking about what you may get back. Make it a daily thing, your new normal. You won’t be disappointed. And just in case you are, give more. There’s no better way to get outside of and over yourself than by reaching out and helping others.
- Are you able to freely give to others?
- What does this look like in your life?
- If not, are you willing to begin? How?
Listen – Reiki Whispers
This is why you practice and meditate – to quiet your mind so you can hear Reiki. It whispers. Those are not just voices in your head! It’s your guidance. Our guides are everywhere. Pay attention. Get used to this new way of being. Trust your intuition. Discover how Reiki speaks to you. It always does, we just need to get out of our own way, and learn how Reiki communicates with us.
- Are you aware of your guidance?
- How does it manifest? Hearing, seeing, knowing? Discover your way.
- What can you do to “grow” your guidance?
Practice, practice, practice
The only real way to learn Reiki is by doing Reiki. So practice. On yourself. On your loved ones. On your pets, plants, trees, anything, and everything. Put it out there every single day. You never lose it and it grows stronger with each use.
- Do you practice self-Reiki daily? If not, why?
- Are you willing to put time aside daily to practice? Schedule it into your day?
- Are you comfortable practicing on others? Family, friends, strangers?
Use the Reiki symbols daily
The Reiki symbols are powerful healing tools that are just waiting for you to use them. They are literally at your fingertips. Send Reiki to heal your past. Send Reiki to your future. It meets you there. Send Reiki to your loved ones. Send Reiki to your day. Every day. Send Reiki. In the healing room. In your life. All the time. It works and it strengthens your abilities. Trust this.
- Do you know your symbols? Write out the ones you know and their uses.
- Have you developed a relationship with them? If not, start. They all have distinct personalities and can really add to your healing.
- Practice! Send Reiki to your past, to the present, and to the future. How does this feel?
Intention is everything
In Reiki intention is everything. Trust this. The Reiki guides are always with us, keeping us safe, guided, protected and loved. If you intend for Reiki to flow, it does. If you intend for an attunement to work, it does. It really is as simple as that. Believe this and see it at work in your daily life.
- Do you set your intention before a session? A class? At the beginning of your day?
- Do you believe this? Trust this?
- How does this manifest for you?
Trust the Process
Let go of concerns and trust the process. When you are facing a challenge affirm this. It’s an opportunity to learn how to let go of control and begin to trust. All is in divine and perfect order. Know this and act accordingly, even if you do not believe it. Especially then.
- What does this mean to you?
- Are you able to let go of control?
- Can you give examples of when this has worked?
Ask for help!
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Ask your teacher, your Reiki colleagues, and your students. We learn when we allow ourselves to be vulnerable and reach out. You don’t have to do this on your own. Those that came before us are happy to help. Really! They can share their experience or guide you to resources. Allow others to help you. You can return the favor any time. Keep it flowing.
- How does it make you feel when you ask for help?
- Do you see it as a weakness or a strength?
- Are you able to receive the help? How does this feel to you?
Reiki is the gift that keeps on giving
As you practice and teach Reiki it is working on you as well. Let it inspire, motivate and heal you. As Reiki guides you allow yourself to learn from it. Not only hear the message it whispers but, take action. This will propel you forward in your business and in your life. It knows what you need, sometimes more than you do. Be open to the teachings.
- Do you use Reiki to help yourself move forward?
- In what ways?
- If not, what steps are you willing to take to incorporate this into your life?
When you are struggling for answers, ask Reiki. For anything and everything. All the time. We have this very powerful healing tool inside of us and often we forget to use it. Bring in the symbols to help you. Create a daily practice and ask Reiki for what you need. You will be amazed at the powerful results.
- Are you able to ask Reiki for what you need?
- Are you willing to listen to the answers and take guided action?
- Do you trust this?
Let Reiki humble you
You DO healing work, you are not the healer. We are all our own healers. Understand the difference. You are an instrument of healing and you heal as you do the work. You are there to assist others in their healing but don’t take the credit or the responsibility. Allow your clients to have their own experience. Put your hands on the person and get out of the way.
- Can you recognize your ego in a session? A class?
- What does that look like to you?
- Are you able to get out of your own way?
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Deb is a Reiki Master Teacher and the owner of Peaceful World Reiki located near Sedona, Arizona. She's been studying Reiki since 2001, practicing since 2003 and began teaching Reiki in 2006. She is an Usui and Karuna Holy Fire II Reiki Master/Teacher, receiving her Reiki Certifications from the International Center for Reiki Training. Deb received her Master of Spiritual Psychology from the School of Integrated Psychology in Glendale, Wisconsin. She is certified as a Level I breathwork practitioner, is a Reiki Crystal healer, Reiki drum practitioner and performs Reiki and sound healing with tuning forks. Deb is one of our featured guests on our Reiki Rays - Reiki Age of Light video which can be found on YouTube. Deb is also the author of a book about the nuts and bolts of starting a Reiki practice, including the emotional highs and lows that go along with that. Her book is called “The Reluctant Reiki Master’s Step-by-Step Guide to Creating and Sustaining a Thriving Reiki Practice” and can be found on Amazon.
Having experienced profound life changes as a result of Reiki, Deb continues to study and practice the various modalities of energy medicine. She devotes her life to walking the Reiki path and helping others discover the benefits of Reiki. Deb can be reached via her website at www.debkarpek.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/debkarpekreiki.