Article by João Antão Marques
For me, this is probably one of the most important techniques in Reiki and should be executed prior to any Reiki treatment as it will give us an indication on the areas needing more attention. Moreover, the type of body response will indicate the degree of blockage in a given area.
The regular practice of the body scan can help us to identify the causes behind the fluctuations and changes in the Aura thus enabling us to help the client in the healing process.
We know that the majority of diseases or problems are generally located in the Aura, therefore by scanning and healing the Aura we will be working on the cause of the disease and will be healing the problems prior they reach the physical body thus, a Reiki treatment using The Byosen-Reikan-Ho Technique will be quite efficient in reducing the recurrence of diseases as the ethereal counterpart is eliminated or strongly reduced.
Presently this technique is known as “Scanning” and can also be used for a self-scan. Hereafter I describe the procedures I use.
Prior to the procedure, I strongly recommend that:
- You activate your hands with all your symbols;
- Take all the protection measures as usual (as mentioned in a previous article the use of CKR in front and the sealing of the chakras with CKR starting from Root Chakra, is, in my opinion, the best protection procedure. Additional CKRs can be placed on the back, left and right sides, under and above);
- Clean the room energetically – use SHK and CKR on corners (as the energy moves in a circular way), CKR on walls, doors, windows, floor and ceiling (closets also) and draw all your symbols in the middle of the room; connect to the Reiki Energy and to your Guides. If you feel so, ask the God of your devotion to clean your energy channel and allow the utilization of the Energy.
To perform an Aura scan the first thing you need/have to do is to read the Aura.
Reading the Aura:
- With your client lying down, place your non-dominant hand around 30 cm over his Crown Chakra, transferring your consciousness to your hand and, slowly, bring your hand to a distance of 8 to 10 cm to the denser aura areas. Keep your hand “reading” the information for 30 seconds (or more if you feel so).
- Place your non-dominant hand over his face and slowly, keeping your hand at a distance between 5 and 30 cm from the body, move your hand downwards (from the head to the feet), in a wave-like movement from left to right, making sure that the “reading” covers all his body. Your hand moves up and down sensing the aura at different levels.
- Keep yourself as receptive as possible to the sensations and/or info you may receive. During this downwards movement try to feel the differences and assess the blockages.
- The Scan movement can also be done first in the torso and after in the legs or you can start reading the left or the right side of the client’s body. The important point is that your reading covers all the body at different levels. Generally, the best distance to work is around ten centimeters although sometimes the highest distortion is felt much higher.
Bear in mind that when exhaling the patient can alter your perception especially if your hand is near the mouth.
- This Body Scan shall be repeated two more times as three readings will give us a better evaluation of the situation.
- Once you have identified the differences, variations, changes, distortions as registered by your hand, you are in possession of the information to direct your treatment. Hereafter we will see the types of sensations and their meanings but, and this is very important, the areas needing more attention are those that are cold.
- A cold area shall never be left cold, channel Reiki as long as necessary!
- When you find a fluctuation in the energy body, move your hand up and down in order to detect the level at which you feel it is higher.
- Channel the energy, at the identified spots and height, until you feel that the intensity of the energetic flux diminishes or you feel the area is healed. Select your priorities and reject everything else.
- At the end of the treatment repeat the scan in order to check if the treatment is completed.
- Most likely you will sense that there are still some unbalanced areas or new areas that have not been spotted in the first scan. In case that happens, channel Reiki until the energy flux is balanced.
As for Third Party Scan, we start by reading our Aura and the procedure is equal to the one explained above.
When treating someone with Reiki, it is perfectly normal to feel different sensations in our hands such as heat, cold, pain, tingling, sensations that indicate the presence of different levels of Byosen as a result of energy blockages and/or toxins accumulation with higher or less importance. Sometimes, these sensations climb our arm till the shoulder. If they become uncomfortable we stop and wait a little to see if they reduce their level. In case of pain, we stop immediately the scan and channel distant Reiki to the spot and we only continue the scan once the pain is eliminated.
Different cycles of Byosen are expected to be felt, in a given area, during a treatment, especially when tingling occurs.
Levels of Byosen
- On-Netsu – Heat (Levell I) – When our hands are over a zone in someone’s body were toxins or dense energy and/or blockage accumulate, we will feel that zone warmer than the average body reading. This is the lowest Byosen response.
- Atsui-On-Netsu – Intense heat (Level II) – In case the blockage or toxins level is higher, we will feel a higher level of heat. Hands can become quite hot and humid with perspiration.
- Piri-Piri Kan – Tingling (Level III) – In a more higher level, we can feel a tingling sensation in the fingertips or in the palms of the hands. This tingling sensation increases gradually until it reaches a maximum and them decreases. During the treatment it is expected to feel two or three more cycles, the intensity decreasing from cycle to cycle.
- Hibiki – Throbbing/pulsating (Level IV) – When we feel throbbing/pulsating in a given area, we know that we are stimulating the blood vessels and we have to be careful to check if we are sensing, or not, the throbbing of our own body.
- Samui – Cold (Level between IV e V) – When we feel cold in a given area, we should apply Reiki until that sensation disappears or until we feel the area is becoming warmer. It is important that a cold area is harmonized. The cold can be linked (and very often it is) to a blockage (either conscientious or sub conscientious) of the chakra.
- Sometimes it’s the patient that feels intense cold when we place our hand over the Heart Chakra. This cold feeling can be associated with an emotional trauma (I’ve already experienced that with women in a Rehabilitation Centre) and it is expected the situation will repeat two or three times more. The Reiki energy is a priceless help in these situations enabling the blockage to be removed.
- Itami – Pain (Level V) – It’s the highest level and indicates that the level of Byosen in that person is very strong. The stronger the blockage, the stronger will be the pain you will feel in your hands. The pain we feel may, in some occasions, reach our wrist or go up the arm till the elbow or, although not so frequent, reach the shoulder. The fact that we feel pain does not mean that we are being affected by the negative energy of the patient (such situation not being so easy to happen), it means, as said above, a very high level of Byosen.
- If we move our hand out of the area the pain disappears but that does not mean the problem has been dealt with.
Frequent Byosen Accumulation zones
It is important to remember that the Byosen is one of the ways our body transmit to us what is wrong before the problem has repercussions at physical level. This Technique is a good problems “detector” enabling us to fine tune the treatment and keep the risks of physical damage at large.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
João Antão Marques, a retired chemical engineer, is an Usui Tibetan Reiki Master/teacher living in Lisbon, Portugal, with training in Jikiden Reiki, Karuna® Reiki and Seichim, Lotus Light Jewel, Tibetan Bowls Massage and Therapy of Past Lives. Works as a volunteer with elder people in a Daily Center of the Portuguese Red Cross and has also worked with drugs and alcohol addicted. Recently undertook a study of the effects of Reiki in people affected by Rheumatoid Arthritis. João can be reached by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.