Article by Deborah Lloyd, Reiki Master
Frequently, Reiki practitioners are asked if Reiki can cure a certain disease for which a family member, friend, or client has been given a diagnosis. Certainly, Reiki has manifested some physical cures, and other times, not. Perhaps, the better question is whether or not Reiki can prevent illnesses.
Here are some ideas to consider:
- Reiki alleviates, or decreases, the effects of stress. The effects of long-term, high levels of stress on the physical body are well-researched. One study found that forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress. These effects include elevated blood pressure, headaches, heart problems, skin conditions, sleep problems, asthma, depression, anxiety and many other problems. Over time, these symptoms can cause diseases.
- Reiki aids in good sleep patterns. Sleep deprivation creates havoc in a person’s physical, as well as emotional and cognitive health. Due to the relaxed state that Reiki creates, receivers often report longer and more restful periods of sleep. Many Reiki practitioners give themselves Reiki before falling asleep every night, and they report a huge improvement in their own sleep.
- Reiki strengthens a person’s immune system; thus, the person is less likely to succumb to viruses and other causes of disease. Again, research has demonstrated that a calm, relaxed demeanor enhances immune systems. A recent study has shown that meditation builds immunity to diseases – and what can be more meditative than a Reiki session?
- Reiki can build the desire to develop healthier habits. When we understand more deeply the connection between mind, body, and spirit, we naturally want to build up each of these areas. We realize when we eat a healthier diet, we “feel better” in our thoughts and in our spiritual lives. We decide it is more fulfilling to take a long walk, rather than sit in front of the television.
- In the same way, we discover finding relaxation in alcohol, drugs or other substances is a short-lived, false method. As we turn away from these substances, we add more protection to our physical bodies from disease.
This list is only a short list of some of the positive effects of Reiki! Every time, we receive Reiki, whether from another practitioner or from self-treatment, we are infusing our beings with positive vibrations. If we had a stressful day, Reiki will decrease this stress, enabling our bodies to heal from the detrimental effects. In today’s world, it is almost impossible to avoid all stress. (In fact, there is evidence that a small amount of short-term stress – or challenging situations – can be healthy.)
Good preventive health is a continual process, and it requires balancing life’s stresses with calmness and healthy choices. Reiki will always help us to stay calm as much as possible, and to make the right choices. When we set the intention for the “highest good,” we can create healthy lives – in every aspect of our beings.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Deborah Lloyd is a Usui and Karuna® Reiki Master and certified holistic therapy practitioner, providing Reiki sessions and training in Asheville, NC. Deborah is the author of two books, 22 Messages from the Archangels; and, Believe and it is True: A Story of Healing and Life Lessons. She is also one of the co-authors of Reiki 101: 101 Answers for Your Reiki Questions. Reach Deborah at http://www.deblloydhealing.com/, firstname.lastname@example.org and at Deb Lloyd Healing on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/deblloydhealing)