Article by Rev. Dr. Tracy Cox, DD
One of the most amazing things that I have witnessed as a Reiki Master Teacher is the psychic development that most of my students experience once they have received their attunements. This is a very sacred time of awakening. The Third Eye chakra in many people can be very stagnant, especially if they are not able to tap into their intuition or gut instinct on a regular basis. The attunement process helps the student’s Universal Life Force flow in a more healthy and fluid manner throughout the body, and this in turn will help activate the third eye, and increase the student’s psychic development.
During the attunement process, quite often a student of Reiki will have powerful psychic visions that can be confusing if not explained by the Reiki Master Teacher. Visions of sacred symbols, past lives, and totem animals are all very common to experience during attunement, so it is very important to reassure the student of Reiki that these experiences are a normal part of the awakening of their psychic ability, and there are ways to control and develop this ability.
A really easy and safe exercise to develop psychic ability is one that I recommend to my students. Here is the process if you would like to give it a try.
- Obtain an electric candle that gives a strong light. (I always recommend using electric candles during any type of meditation. If you fall asleep, you do not run the risk of fire.)
- Seat yourself in a comfortable chair in front of a table where you have set the candle about 18 inches in front of your eyes.
- Place your hands in prayer position in front of your Heart chakra, and close your eyes. Think of your entire body as being hollow. Now, invite the Universal Life Force, or White Light of Healing to fill your body and surround you with that sacred light of protection.
- Take a deep breath through the nose, seeing that white light fill your body. Exhale through your nose, seeing any stress and tension leaving with your breath. Repeat this three times, and on the third time, see the Universal Life Force filling your body and surrounding and protecting your body as well. Now you can open your eyes, and drop your hands into a comfortable position.
- Rest your eyes upon the electric flame of the candle. Do not stare. You can of course blink, etc. Just lightly rest your eyes on the candle light and as you do this, let your mind relax in meditation. As you do this, do not worry that you get random thoughts from time to time; this is natural. Just let them pass through your mind like a calm stream, and bring your focus back to the candle light.
- After a length of time (probably about 5 minutes), close your eyes. You will very quickly see an after image of the candle flame in your mind’s eye, or inner eye. Gaze at that after image until it dissipates. Once it is gone, you will have a blank screen in your mind’s eye. Congratulations! You have located the place where your third eye connects with your inner knowing! This is that area called the Seat of the Soul, and this is where psychic vision comes from.
- Meditate upon this area for another 5 minutes or so, and then gently bring yourself back to consciousness by performing the breathing exercises explained in step number 4 above. On the final exhale open your eyes.
This meditation does not need to be long, but it is very valuable in helping the student of psychic development locate the inner eye screen where your third eye projects psychic visions. This is the area of the body that Jesus spoke of in scripture when he said “If thine eye be single, thy body shall be filled with light.” It is connected to your third eye and pineal gland, which is located in the same general area of your skull. Scientists have discovered that the pineal gland has some cells in common with your eyes, and is connected to the experience of inner vision, or visions in the mind’s eye.
It is also very helpful to think about the inside of your forehead (once your eyes are closed) as a large movie screen, and the third eye is the projector that projects psychic visions onto that screen. As you are beginning to develop your psychic ability, do not worry about reading too much into these visions to begin with. You may see some beautiful lights, snippets of scenes in people’s lives, sacred symbols, bird or animals, or anything really. The possibilities are endless. Because you have protected yourself with the Universal Life Force, you can be comfortable in just witnessing these visions and knowing that you are increasing your psychic development with these exercises. As you become more in touch with your third eye chakra you will find it will become easier to access your intuition and gut instinct, and as you honour these messages from Spirit, you will begin to walk in the path of the Mystics and begin to discover your own True Self, and Divine Destiny.
May you be blessed on your Spiritual Journey!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Rev. Dr. Tracy Cox, DD is a Reiki Master Teacher, Spiritual Mentor and Coach. She works with clients and students worldwide by phone or webcam, and in person at her private office in Aurora, Ontario, Canada. She has an active spiritual ministry, and is an Ordained Minister who has been awarded her Doctor of Divinity degree. Her doctoral dissertation was focused on scientific research proving the power of prayer. She uses the information from her research to help her clients heal and overcome their challenges in all areas. For more info, please see www.revdrtracycox.com or connect with her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/revdrtracycox