Article by Justine Melton
So, let’s get real for a minute. Your Reiki Office can make or break your business! I know this may seem a little harsh at first but in my experience, it has proven to be true time and time again. One of the things that I enjoy the most is helping other practitioners to change their healing space/office that they have set up for their clients and create a warm and comforting space. It makes my heart happy when I see the transformation and know how many more people their business is going to help because of the new environment.
The space you practice Reiki in plays a big part in your clients’ healing. If done correctly it can comfort them and allow them to be more open to receiving the healing. The more open they are to the Reiki energy the better the Reiki energy can help them.
Do you have a space you have been wanting to change or improve? Have you been looking for ways to make it better but think you will never be able to afford it? I have 3 small children, healing work and many other daily commitments that all take time and money. I know how to get things down on a budget. It is possible and can be done if you are willing to invest a little time into getting creative.
When you walk into your Reiki Office take a look around. What do you notice? What stands out the most? Is it warm and inviting? Do you feel relaxed or do you feel anxious, unsure, or like your mind is pulled in a million different directions? It is important to note here that everyone has their own style and that is ok! However, no matter what your style is a client should be able to walk in and feel at peace. They should never walk in and feel anxious or overwhelmed. One of the biggest mistakes I see when I walk into a practitioner’s office is that there is too much stuff in it. More healing things (crystals, books, certificates, candles, statues, jewelry, etc) does NOT mean that there is more healing energy being offered. It simply means that there is too much going on and the energy is all over the place instead of being calm, centered and healing. Get out a notebook and write down anything you notice. Next, take a look at my tips below and get ready to have some fun making changes.
Top Tips for Creating The Perfect Reiki Space on a Budget:
- Take everything out of the space! Does this seem dramatic? It might but actually it allows you to truly have a blank space that things are slowly added back into. Not everything will make its way back into the office and that’s ok!
- The .99 cent store is your friend!!!! Here in The United States we have some stores where you can find a lot of stuff for just .99 cents. Some of it is junk but if you know what you are looking for and have a plan they can offer huge savings for you. Also, discount stores are great. And hand making somethings can offer huge savings.
- Make a plan of what you want before you do it. What are the things you can do to create the biggest difference? Would changing the paint color help? Adding more or less light?
- Simple is your friend! I like to go with as simple as possible no matter what your style is. Any style can be made simple. The less clutter there is in a room the more room there is to focus on healing and the more positive energy there will be.
- The few things I always put in a space…. White candles, plants, soft lighting and soft music. If you are artistic you can even make your own artwork. Add in a Reiki table and a few extra chairs and you are all set. Really you do not need more! Less is more in healing spaces.
- Specific items that I get at specific places…. (Very quickly let me say that yes I prefer “mom and pop” type stores always! However, this article is about doing things on a budget which is why I am recommending certain places. Perhaps, I should share another article sometime about my favorite mom and pop locations to get cool items for your healing space).
For budget only purposes here are my recommendations…
Clear Glass Vases for your office (these can be used for plants OR for candles)= Walmart (Under $5 US), .99 cent store (1.99 or less per glass vase). If you want bigger glass vases go to Walmart.
Fresh Flowers = Trader Joe’s ($10 and under), Costco ($20 and under), my favorite local place Franco’s in Encinitas, CA ($10 and under).
Live Plants such as mini palms, money tree’s etc…= Home Depot ($20 and under). Always, wait for something to go on sale at Home Depot. I routinely get things there for under $20 that are normally double or triple the price. Keep watching and don’t be afraid to ask the sales people when the sale is there. Many times landscapers will place orders at home depot or other local nurseries for specific plants that they then decide they no longer want. This happens a lot more frequently than you might think. These plants are then sold at a huge discount. You can find some really cool stuff this way.
Music – If you are on a budget there is never a reason to pay for music. As long as you have internet and a computer with speakers you can play relaxing music for free off of Pandora or Youtube at any time. This can really set a huge positive vibe for your office. Also, I always like to ask clients what their favorite music is. Sometimes I will change it to their favorite during their session. Otherwise, I like to leave it on my favorite Pandora Meditation Music Channel.
Frames for Certificates and/or pictures = The .99 cent store or Walmart. A lot of times I will take advantage of free or discounted canvas prints on Groupon as well. You can get art work for your entire space and frames for your certificates for under $50 US dollars total.
Tables/Chairs/Lights = Resale Shops (I have many favorite local ones), Craigslist, or Target Clearance. I have found amazing deals at all of these locations. Also, if you are handy you can get creative and make over old furniture yourself. I like to keep colors light and bright.
Candles = The .99cent store or Amazon. I like to buy white candles. You can make them yourself too. You can also purchase flameless ones from the .99 cent store for under a dollar.
Reiki Supplies (Reiki Table, Manikin, etc..) = Craigslist or Amazon. If you purchase these things used just be sure to cleanse it before moving it into your space. You can save hundreds of dollars by getting these items used. Also, Amazon has incredible sales on Reiki tables and massage tables. Also, ebay will sometimes have these items at good prices.
Reiki Certificates & Teaching Supplies = Hobby Lobby or Amazon.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that you can always trade old objects that you have in your office with other practitioner friends. They may have exactly what you are looking for and vice versa. Remember, that your goal is to create the most relaxing environment possible. You are not just putting random things in your office that you like. Each piece has a purpose and should help bring a feeling of warmth and comfort to the client.
I hope these tips help motivate you to find exactly what you are looking for at a low price. It is possible! Get out there and make your space great!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Justine Melton is a Reiki Master/Teacher and an Intuitive Counselor. Reiki came into her life and changed it in amazing ways. It is her passion now to bring Reiki to others and help them to heal in a holistic way. Justine is lucky enough to be an Empath, Clairaudient, Clairsentient, and Clairvoyant. She is able to use these gifts with Reiki if asked to give extra messages during a session for the client’s highest good. You can follow Justine on her website SerenityOfTheMindAndSoul.com and on Facebook at Serenity of the Mind & Soul.