Article by Darshan.S
The technical definition of an emotion is “a strong feeling deriving from one’s circumstances, mood or relationships”. What it means is our emotions are a reflection of the consequences external stimulus has on our own internal environment.
Emotions can be broadly categorized into empowering and disempowering emotions i.e. ‘emotions that feel good’ and the ‘not so good feeling emotions’. The good feeling emotions tell us that we are congruent and in alignment with our true selves, whereas the disempowering emotions tell us that there is some aspect of our self that is incongruent or in non-alignment with our true self.
All the negative and disempowering emotions we feel are actually great blessings to us because they act like fire alarms which indicate to us that a certain area of our life is under fire and needs our immediate attention. Our emotions are actually our greatest allies if we listen to the wisdom that they have to offer us and we act on it.
As energy workers, it is important that we understand this concept. Unresolved emotions are the most predominant causes of illnesses and energetic imbalances. Generally, healers have the tendency to clear and transmute negative emotions without understanding the message that they have to offer and the reason that these emotions were made manifest in the first place. Without finding a resolution to these unresolved emotions the person will only experience temporary relief as the unresolved emotion will make its way back into this person’s life in a different shape and form.
“Don’t shoot the messenger” but that is exactly what we do to our emotions. Good or bad emotions are merely messengers communicating and reflecting to us the phenomenon occurring within our own psyche.
In the coming series of articles, we will explore these emotions in-depth and see what insights they offer us and how we can use these insights to heal ourselves and our clients.
But before diving deeper into this topic lets first learn how to stay in tune with our own emotions because in today’s world we are taught to be dissociated from our own emotions and cater to other people’s emotional needs and any act to deviate from this behavior is considered an act of selfishness and betrayal. But unless we learn to take care of our own selves and listen to our own feelings and emotions we cannot truly connect with other people on an authentic level.
So, let’s start off with a meditation that teaches us to stay connected and in tune with our feelings and emotions.
- To begin, sit in a quiet and comfortable place where you can relax and will not be disturbed.
- Go through a guided relaxation to allow yourself to slow down your brain frequencies from beta to alpha so that you can have access to your subconscious. (if you are familiar with other techniques to access the alpha state, feel free to use that)
- Invoke protection for yourself in whatever way you feel comfortable and also ground yourself to mother earth.
- Invoke the flow of Reiki.
- Once the Reiki begins to flow, stay in that flow for about five minutes. Then center your attention at your Heart chakra. As you center your attention at your Heart chakra repeat mentally “I allow myself to feel my feelings freely” for about five minutes and allow your feelings to rise up to your conscious awareness.
- As you do this you will be bombarded with so many of your feelings that were seeking your attention for so long that you will feel overwhelmed. Just acknowledge them one by one and then let them go. Let them go like ‘letting go of balloons in the open sky.’
- You can also scan your physical body and notice areas of stress, tension and suppressed emotion. Become aware of the emotions that are stuck in that physical part, acknowledge them and release them.
- Just make sure whenever the feelings or emotions come up, you acknowledge their presence and let them free. Don’t invite them over for a cup of tea and start conversing with them about your life story. Just release them with unconditional love without the need for any justification.
- End the session after a duration of 15-20 minutes.
When you finish tell yourself that you’ll take at least fifteen minutes a day, every day to stay in tune and acknowledge your feelings and emotions. As you do this you will become more emotionally stable and you will find it easier to deal with situations and people that charged you up emotionally. As you set up this routine for yourself, you will notice that your mind isn’t constantly bringing up emotions that hinder you from doing your everyday work. You will become more grounded and able to deal with life in the here and now.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Darshan is a Reiki healer & teacher, Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist and a Professional Dowser. He owns a Metaphysical Store called “Crystal Alchemy” through which he helps spread awareness about Crystals and other Healing Modalities. You can reach Darshan at www.facebook.com/Crystal.Alchemy.Store, www.facebook.com/TheHealingOcean.