Article by Eve Sengkeo
Whether it’s a romantic relationship, friendship or any type of goodbye, breakups are tough. It could be your first real heartbreak or your 100ths, there’s always that moment you just want to shut out the world and have a good cry.
Years ago, I went through a dark night of the soul. Though most would describe me as an upbeat and down-to-earth gal, deep down, I was miserable. I couldn’t seem to keep long-term friendships and relationships. In fact, I kept leaving jobs because of difficulties dealing with managers and colleagues. I tried everything but kept feeling overwhelmed and hopeless. The cycle continued for almost a decade as I kept changing jobs, moving locations…nothing seemed to work.
After a personal or professional “breakup”, friends and family can be very helpful but their words and support seem to only go so far. So getting over the breakup has to ultimately come from within you. Grieving over your loss for a reasonable amount of time is understandable. But if you linger too long in the past, friends and family may eventually get tired of hearing you go in circles.
Your negative emotions can start a destructive cycle. If you let the negativity fester, biochemical changes such as increases in cortisol (the stress hormone) can interfere with your body’s natural healing mechanism. This could lead to less self-care, which leads to physical ailments and more dark emotions.
This is where Reiki can play a significant role in energetic self-care. Even a few minutes of practicing Reiki self-care can move you forward in the healing process. Furthermore, if you’re able to acknowledge you’re starting to fester or hold a grudge, you’re halfway to releasing the negativity! Here are 8 ways to help you do just that!
- Work it out. It may be cold outside be even going for a brisk walk can make all the difference. Even light exercise increases your endorphins so start taking the stairs instead of the elevator, get up every hour from your desk to stretch your legs, or do some yoga in the mornings!
- Write it out. Got something to say but didn’t have a chance to say it? Trying to take the high road so biting your tongue. Then let it out on paper, girl! Journaling helps to get our thoughts out on paper and gain clarity! Yes, clear that Throat chakra by speaking your truth.
- Cry it out. Allow yourself to feel your feelings without judgement. Crying is natural and therapeutic. It helps our bodies physically release negative emotions. So let go of the self-judgement and allow yourself to cry when the emotions surface.
- Change it out. Take an inventory of your surroundings and assess whether or not it may be time to set some energetic boundaries for yourself. Surround yourself with high-vibe people, colors, hobbies, books, and anything that lifts your mood. As the Jim Rohn saying goes:
You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.
- Redirect it out. Shift your negative thoughts. It’s natural to analyze the past. However, the obsessive thoughts and replays of would of, could of, should of can hinder your forward progression in the long run. When you catch yourself going down a rabbit hole, simply redirect your thoughts away to something good that is happening in your life.
- Hold it out. Maintain a positive thought for 68 seconds. Studies have shown that even 17 seconds of energy work can equate to 2 or more hours of physical work. By focusing your attention on something positive in your life, you activate the vibration of that thought within you. Immediately the Law of Attraction begins to respond to that activation.
- Affirm it out. Ever tried a short forgiveness affirmation? Each night before going to bed repeats as often as you need the following: “I forgive those who have wronged me. I forgive myself. I let go of all anger, resentment, and pain. I welcome an abundance of love, peace, and joy.” Repeat this each night until you no longer need to.
- Reiki it out.
Healing your energy is probably the most important yet most overlooked key to the process. You can incorporate Reiki energy in your meditation, affirmations, and even yoga practice! Some people like to write out their intention for healing, to include specific steps. Then draw the Sei He Ki symbol for emotional healing over the piece of paper.
Remember, the key to moving forward is to be in alignment with the vibrational frequency of where you want to be. Thus, incorporating Reiki self-care into your routine can make all the difference in clearing stubborn blocks getting in the way of raising your frequency to achieve mind, body and spiritual wellness. So get ready to raise your vibrations and move forward by applying Reiki energy into your healing process!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Eve Sengkeo loves helping others achieve mind, body and spiritual wellness. As a Reiki Master, she inspires people through writing about her setbacks, comebacks, and all the lessons learned in between.