Article by Reiki Master Sunetra Dasgupta
Hello, beautiful souls!
I am sure all of you are doing great! Today I have not come up with any healing technique but rather a concern. Since the time I have come into the practice I have met many Reiki teachers, thanks to Reiki Rays and common friends. When Reiki teachers meet, they have so much to discuss and also learn a lot of tips and tricks, they also introduce each other to a lot of different Reiki healing methods which they might have learned from somewhere or discovered on their own! But I have also met souls, who may have come to me for healing or learning a level of Reiki, where their teachers have taught them a distorted version of Reiki, hence they feel extremely lost or are confused about what to do!
Some basic rules all Reiki Teachers should follow (as per me!! Please feel free to add more if you feel)
• Your student is not you. They are their own individuals, do not expect your student practice it the way you do. What we teach them is a skeleton; they will either follow it to the T or build and customize it their own way. Neither of the methods is wrong. It is what ones feel comfortable with.
• Encourage your students to ask you questions. The answer cannot be “Because I said so”. When my brother went to learn Reiki and he asked why the chakra colours were represented that way, the answer he received was “Because it is like that”. He was also prohibited from asking further questions, this made him lose interest and he didn’t ever practice Reiki.
• I shall quote a Reiki teacher at this point. That person, of course, shall not be named.
Myths Regarding Reiki
- If Chi Ball could heal there was no need for learning all the degrees of Reiki, first degree was enough Chi Ball heals 1% in one million years. Basically chi ball is primarily used for sending your affirmations to the Universe.
- Most of Reiki teachers teaches that after doing 3rd degree you yourself become Reiki which is absurd nobody in this world can become Reiki.
- You cannot send Reiki through eyes, mind or through breath, it was possible only if you had storage of Reiki energy inside your body and that’s not possible. Please apply your common sense don’t you think if you could heal a person through eyes it becomes so simple that you are working in office and healing going on through your eyes without efforts. Nothing in this world you get without putting efforts.
- Make sure you get attunement through good master cause if master commits a single 1% mistake during attunement you cannot use those symbols, for example, you went for 2nd degree and your master unknowingly makes a mistake, all three symbols will never work for you, and you will suspect REIKI is useless I don’t get results.This message is meant for all who are into serious Reiki healing, so, that they can use REIKI effectively.
I have never seen such absurd claims in my life, but people write these too. These kinds of blocks should never be put in anybody’s mind. We should have immense faith in the practice. A master will never make a “mistake” because we are just the medium, it’s the higher energies which guide us throughout. Reiki ensures that the student’s attunement and practice does not get affected; Reiki can be sent through your eyes, breath and even soles of your feet!(soles of your feet should be cleaned with salt water before.), also when we say we become Reiki, we become one with Reiki, we are so divinely synced with the energies of the Universe, that we know how Reiki will work!
- I know I may be kicked for this point as people are divided on distance attunement, I shall quote another Reiki Teacher
“For Beginners and Learners – In my view with respect to learning a spiritual Practice like REIKI through Whatsapp is a big failure concept. First Thumb Rule is the Reiki Master & Practitioner should be in eye to eye contact, Learners should understand the purpose behind the technique, should know its Advantages and Disadvantages, understand the need and requirements and then able to apply at right time, Reiki Master clearing the learners unknown doubts raised is essential and building their confidence in return.
These above factors through Whatsapp will not solve and finally, at the end of the day the learner will feel his or her money spent is not worth and lose interest. As we all well know that Spirituality will come in its own way. Just like that, no power will come.”
I disagree to this point to the core, for the simple reason, not everyone has access to Reiki teachers, or resonate the ones who are known to them, hence they learn in distance. I am sure there are many Reiki practitioners who have learned level 1/2/3 or any other degree in distance and are doing great, these blocks are unnecessary. As a Reiki practitioner if you feel that in person is necessary, please reach out interiors of places and educate people about this wonderful modality and teach them to this way everyone wins.
- I have also come across a few teachers who give the attunement with the intention, “Make the student powerful practitioner but not as powerful as me.” This is again an absurd way of giving attunement, as Reiki shall decide the fate of the student and not us. We should always have the intention, that our students are the best practitioners and they will help others in a selfless manner.
- There are teachers who discourage students from taking up healing/teaching cases independently. One should let the students take their own decision and guide them only if they ask help, we should let them branch out and practice and teach and heal others. Unsolicited advice is never welcomed.
- Does not matter where we are in our spiritual practice, if our fellow colleagues or students are doing better than us, don’t mar them with psychic attacks, instead be happy that they are doing well for themselves. Remember Reiki is not a business it’s a service to humanity.
- Please don’t copy others notes and pass it on as your own. If you have prior permission from your teacher or someone else to use the notes to give it to others, please keep their manual intact, and let your students know that you are giving your colleagues/teachers notes ahead. Transparency and honesty is important.
- Please share knowledge selflessly, the more you share, more shall you receive. If you know the techniques are going to help, please share. Even Merlin had shared everything he knew with Lady of the Lake, we are simple mortals. Unfortunately, there are some teachers who do not give proper notes to the students or not teach the concept clearly, or worse, they say the attunement shall be given of all the levels together and the students can read the notes on their own!
- Grounding, Shielding, Attitude of gratitude and hands-on practice is necessary at all levels. Please teach your students that. We all know that with grounding, shielding, and hands-on Reiki half the problems get solved. Rest of the advanced and not so advanced techniques depends on you and your intuition.
- Don’t force your students to take up other courses provided by you. Let them decide what works the best for them. Also if a student does not want to do further degrees with you, it does not matter, don’t take it personally. Every student who comes to you has some karma you shared with them, and you have completed it.
- Please teach Authentic Reiki. In no Reiki practice, is the power symbol the Master Symbol. There are unfortunately some teachers who distort Reiki which leaves the students dazed and confused. Also, I have got many calls asking people if “Vashikaran and Indrajaal” (its some kind of black magic practiced in South Asia) is a part of Reiki, and the answer is NO. There are some Teachers who say the above mentioned are a part of Reiki, please people do not fall into these gimmicks. Reiki is all about healing yourself, karma and other souls. Also, don’t curse your Reiki students that they won’t be able to practice, it comes back on you, and no Reiki Teachers are supposed to ask their students to remove their clothes or scarves before an attunement or healing.
Have a safe and an authentic practice, help others in their path, and don’t malign the energies and your name.
Blessed be <3
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Apart from being a lecturer teaching undergraduate students Mathematics, Statistics, Research Methodology and Business Communication, Sunetra Dasgupta is a Reiki Teacher. She is emotionally attached to Reiki as she feels, when she was nowhere, Reiki came to rescue her. She has channelled Gajanan Vinayak Reiki, and heals and teaches Traditional (Usui) Reiki, Karmic Reiki, Karuna Reiki®, Soulmate Reiki, Fusion Reiki, Wagle Reiki, Angel Reiki, Tiger Reiki, Lavender Flame Reiki, 30 more types of Reiki, Magnified Healing, DLA, Akashic Records, Access Consciousness, Aura Brushing, Cord Removal, Hypnotherapy, Past Life Regression, EFT, Psychic Surgery, Angel and Tarot Card Reading, Runes, Tasseography, Violet Flame, Herbs and Oils, Candle Magick, Signature Analysis, Vastu, Numerology, Feng Shui, Bach Flower, I Ching, Fairy Ring, LOA. She is also an Angel whisperer. She lives in India and can be followed on her Facebook Reiki Page: Soniele Daniel Healing Miracle facebook.com/Sonieledanielhealingmiracle, Instagram at instagram.com/sonieledanielhealingmiracle and on her Tarot Page which she has formed with 2 other members facebook.com/Tarotmaniacs. She has also written a book “Lessons I learned from Reiki” which can be bought from Pothi.com.