Article by Kriss Erickson
How we as human beings understand reality has to do with how we interpret the energies that we experience in our everyday lives. It’s easy to see the need for clear communication when we are interpreting body language, speaking, texting or otherwise sharing with others.
We translate the meanings of words through the words chosen and through voice inflection. When we are able to correctly translate the energy of the words spoken or written to us, this creates a greater potential for harmony.
Words can mean different things to different people. An example is that as a child on the East coast, I grew up calling paper towels “toweling”. It took a few puzzled looks for me to realize that I needed to make sure people knew what I meant by that word.
It is also very important to have clear communication when sharing Reiki.
Reiki and Energy Interpretation
Interpreting energy is an important aspect of sharing Reiki as well. One example is the aspect of touch. Since Reiki is a form of touch therapy, it is important to understand how the recipients feel about touch. People who are comfortable with touch will relax more easily when touched than people who are not comfortable with touch.
If a Reiki recipient is using a lot of energy struggling with feeling uncomfortable about being touched, yet unsure of whether or not to inform you, they will use a lot of energy trying not to feel uncomfortable, rather than being able to work with the Reiki frequencies to create spiritual and physical blessings for their body/mind/spirit.
As with other forms of communication, asking instead of assuming is an effective way to create the kind of atmosphere that can help a Reiki recipient to feel safe and relaxed.
Joyce Whiteley Hawkes, Ph.D., states in her book Cell-Level Healing, “Translating spiritual blessing into the body–the Flow from Soul to Cell–is the interface between the etheric and the material world.” (page 141)
As such it is important for Reiki Practitioners to always be mindful of how the Reiki frequencies are being perceived and translated by the recipient.
Five Ways to Know How Reiki Energy is Interpreted by a Recipient
- Ask – Yes, that’s obvious and no I don’t mean to pepper your Reiki recipients with questions. Asking at the beginning of a session how a person perceives touch, how well they are able to feel the vibrational frequencies of Reiki and how comfortable and relaxed they feel will help to establish an atmosphere of mutual respect. If you notice a recipient tensing up during a session, you can ask at that point, as well, how they are feeling.
- Recipient Focus – No matter how you, as a Reiki practitioner, feel the energy flow, honor how your recipient feels. If the Power Symbol feels too strong to your recipient, for example, you can remind her that the frequency cannot hurt her and that change can create a level of discomfort. But also honor her experience by immediately shifting to a different symbol that feels more harmonious to her.
- Communicate – Share how the energy flow feels to you, but always ask the recipient how it feels to her. If you feel a shift, mention what you feel and ask if the recipient feels the same way. The amount of communication needed depends on the individual. If your recipient is in a state of deep relaxation, make note of your perceptions to discuss after the session.
- Educate – Briefly share your choices, for instance, if you begin with the Power Symbol and your recipient notices when you shift to the Mental/Emotional Symbol, a few words about the purpose and frequency of the Symbol and how the Symbol feel so the recipient can provide a greater context to connect with.
- Balance – Even if your recipient sees and experiences the Reiki energy differently than you, remember that you are a hollow reed. You are the facilitator, not the initiator or director, of the session. It is the recipient’s ability to connect with the sentient, healing frequencies of the Universe that create greater balance and harmony, as well as releases blocked or stuck energy.
Encouraging clear communication in Reiki sessions helps to create a safe, relaxing atmosphere for your recipients. This is a key that helps them create healing within their body/mind/spirit.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Kriss Ericksonn is an Usui/Tibetan, Atlantean. Crystal, Karuna®, Ra-Sheeba and Lightarian Reiki Master Teacher, a certified Acutonics Practitioner and the founder of the Elemental Frequencies Dragon Reiki system. She teaches and shares Reiki from her home in Everett, WA. Kriss also creates energetic art that she sells at art fairs, composes original music and is a published author. Reach Kriss at www.risingspiralsreiki.com/ and at firstname.lastname@example.org.