Article by Kriss Erickson
Does it change the energy of the energy conveyed in a Reiki session, if the stones you use are polished or raw? I think the subject of raw versus polished stone energy use is a matter of self-discovery.
The stones and crystals I choose to work with in each session depend on three aspects:
1. The character of the energy being released from the recipient: Is it raw? Painful? Has it been there a long time? Is it new? Etc.
2. The energy of the stone: is it warming? cooling? shearing? penetrating? gentle? powerful?
3. The leading of the combined intuition of the Reiki practitioner, the recipient and the stones.
Though the overall heart-field supporting energy of a Rose Quartz, or various qualities of any other stone, is not fundamentally different if the stone is polished or raw, the rawness or polished energy of the stone can affect the field in different ways. The main idea behind the choice of raw or polished stones is, like other aspects of Reiki, based on intent.
For example: since I find that the energy of raw stones is a bit more primal, I like to use them when dealing with raw energy or repressed emotions. The roughness of the raw stone helps to shear off bits of Byoki or unhealthy energy, encouraging the body/mind/spirit to let go of patterns that are not helpful.
It is also important to remember that the many ‘raw’ circumstances are often delicate and need to be treated very gently, and a bit more indirectly. In those cases, my intent is to help in the gentlest way possible. In those cases I often will choose polished stones. The polished stones allow energies to flow smoothly to and through them, enabling them to speak softly to delicate aspects of life.
And don’t forget—when choosing which stones to use, ask the body and ask the stones. That is the bottom line as far as I’m concerned. When I first began combining crystal and stone energy with Reiki, a recipient’s field asked for a large chunk of obsidian that was in my garden. I went and got it, and witnessed the blessing of a deep sense of grounding that helped the recipient to feel more secure.
Practical Aspects When Choosing Stones and Crystals:
- Polished stones are easier to use on the body since they don’t have any rough edges. The energy tends to be smoother and more subtle.
- Raw stones fit well the small of the back, abdomen, beneath the table or beside the head or feet, since the angular shapes can settle in without danger of rolling off.
- Polished stones can be easier to cup in the palm if you are sending their energy to the body while scanning.
- Polished stones are also excellent choices to use for a Reiki and stone massage.
- If the choice is between two similar stones: say a serpentine and a green calcite, both of which support the heart field, bring them both to the recipient. Hold both in the auric field or ask the recipient to hold one in each hand. Whichever one resonates better for the recipient will be the most helpful for them.
- Raw stones like lapis lazuli, emerald, ruby and other precious, rare or semi precious stones are much less expensive than polished stones. So using raw stones can be a way for you to expand your collection of tools without spending too much.
Just like the Reiki hand positions, these guidelines are meant as general information, to give you a starting place that you can build from.
I suggest that you work with both types of stones. Pay attention to the energies that each has and see what you think.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Kriss Erickson is an Usui/Tibetan, Atlantean. Crystal, Karuna®, Ra-Sheeba and Lightarian Reiki Master Teacher, a certified Acutonics Practitioner and the founder of the Elemental Frequencies Dragon Reiki system. She teaches and shares Reiki from her home in Everett, WA. Kriss also creates energetic art that she sells at art fairs, composes original music and is a published author. Reach Kriss at www.risingspiralsreiki.com/ and at email@example.com.