Article by Angie Webster
Sometimes we need a little motivational reminder to keep up our daily self-Reiki practice. The regular busy-ness of everyday life can leave us feeling like we don’t have the time for one more thing on our “to-do” list. Self-Reiki, or any time to sit and be still, often gets put in last place. It can be difficult to understand just how deeply Reiki will impact your life until you have been using it daily for a long time. Recently I realized how much I use Reiki and thought “what did I ever do without Reiki?!” Here are a few reasons to help you remember why it’s so important to set a few minutes aside each day just for self-healing.
1. The greatest effects and benefits of Reiki are cumulative. The longer you have regular Reiki, the better you will feel mentally, physically and emotionally. Using Reiki each day helps to keep your system clear of the buildup of toxins and stuck negative emotional energy. This helps you return to balance more easily, even if life circumstances are difficult or stressful.
2. Doing regular self-Reiki refines your understanding of Reiki, helping you to become more familiar with it. We learn more about the subtle sensations of Reiki as we use it. As you do your daily practice, you may also have new understandings about how energy works, or about your own body and mind. You may have new understandings or inspirations about ways to work with Reiki in your daily life.
3. Daily self-Reiki helps to keep your mind clear. Your decision making skills will improve and you will be more able to see the right decision for you when your mind is in a peaceful state.
4. Self-Reiki is a gentle, kind, and loving gesture to offer yourself. We often forget to take the time to be loving to ourselves, even for a moment, during the course of our day. This practice gives us the opportunity to develop the skill to just pause and be kind to ourselves, as well as others.
5. Self-Reiki offers us a chance to receive touch. Often perceived as a luxury or indulgence in our modern world, touch is actually a necessity for our health and survival. We need it to be well and to be mentally stable. Touch helps us to feel comfort, bonding, and love. It eases anxiety and depression and calms the nervous system. See this article on Dacher Keltner’s research about touch.
6. Self-Reiki helps to soothe any healing crisis symptoms that we may have, as well as reducing the severity and recovery time from colds, viruses, injuries and surgeries.
7. Daily self-Reiki helps us to slow down! Despite the common reasoning that we don’t have time to take 5 or 10 minutes for self-Reiki or meditation, when we begin regularly doing these practices, life seems to slow down and make way for them. Additionally, you will find that your mind calms and doesn’t feel as frantic to keep moving once you make this a habit.
8. Your sense of peace will carry over to those around you. You will interact in a more loving and productive way than before with co-workers, partners, children, friends, parents and pets.
9. Your spiritual path will open up in just the perfect way for you, in exactly the right timing. This doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone, of course, so don’t compare your path with another. Allow yourself to relax into the Reiki healing and let it open you to what is best for you.
Even periodic Reiki will help you, and using Reiki when you get sick or injured is wonderful. There is benefit in every single time you use Reiki. If you make Reiki a regular part of your life, those benefits will grow, multiply, and deepen.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master, Teacher, and Author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She teaches online classes on energy healing, flower essences, herbalism, and personal growth. Angie often works with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Animal Reiki: How it Heals, Teaches & Reconnects Us with Nature and Reiki from A to Z. You can follow her at: angie-webster-healing.teachable.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/angiewebsterhealing).