Article by Angie Webster
There is a huge push in the world media for everyone to lose weight, be fit, and be the correct size for the current fashion. It can begin to make you feel terrible about yourself, as if there is some specific impossible standard that remains somewhat (or drastically) out of reach for many of us. There are so many diets and fitness programs and many people, particularly women, are constantly on a new diet. We are conditioned to compare our bodies with those of others, and especially with those in magazines, movies and television.
All of this isn’t a very loving way to live within our bodies. In fact, it sends negative messages and negative energy to our cells and creates negative thought processes in our minds. We reinforce this negative energy and these negative beliefs by continuing the cycle. And negative energy makes for a sick and toxic body that can’t balance itself and heal. That is exactly the opposite of what we need when we want our body to feel its best!
We need to move our bodies in a way that makes us happy and that helps our energy and fluids to circulate well. And of course, we all need to eat food that supports our health, rather than diminishes it. But both food and movement should be supportive and joyous! Filling food and exercise with guilt and angst destroys the positive qualities of eating and moving! Choose how you need to eat and move based on what makes you and your body feel your very best—not on guilt laden messages or comparisons with others.
Of course what all of us really wish for is to feel our best. We want a body that will help us to move through this life freely, easily, and without pain. The truth is, that will look very different for each of us. And if we feel our best and we are happy, we will certainly look our best, too. The wonderful thing is, once you switch your internal program to one of love and acceptance, your cells will respond. You will feel better and be happier.
So how do we begin to change the programming we have learned?
- Send Reiki directly to the cells of your body each day. Make it a part of your self-Reiki or your meditation routine. Do this with the intention to deeply love and accept your body, just as it is. Try to really feel the energy of love in your heart center, the way you would feel it for a loved one or a favorite memory.
- If there is a part of your body that you have particular difficulty feeling good about, spend a few extra moments sending Reiki and loving intention to this area. This can be an area that you have had feelings of self-loathing toward due to the way it looks or it can be an area that has pain or other difficulty.
- You may notice that you carry feelings of guilt in your body. Take note of where you carry the emotional energy of guilt. Spend some time breathing and letting Reiki flow to this area and sending loving intention and acceptance to it.
- Set the intention to begin having a loving relationship with your food. Allow Reiki to flow into this intention. Writing this down may be helpful.
- Each time you eat, allow Reiki and loving energy to flow to your body and to the food you choose. Bless it with positive energy prior to eating it. It is helpful to do this prior to going to the grocery store, the restaurant or the kitchen, as well. This places a loving bond of energy between you and your food.
- If you currently have no exercise or physical movement routine, set the intention to explore new ways of movement that feel good to your body. Write this down so that you can see the intention and so that you have a place to explore ideas. Be creative and write down several ways to move your body that sound fun and interesting. Any form of movement is good! Nothing is taboo, weird, or wrong. Make something up if you like! You could consider dancing of any kind (belly dancing could be fun!), hula hooping, walking around the block, yoga or simple stretching, whatever moves you and feels good! Send Reiki and loving energy to this.
- Each day, choose a form of movement from your list to try for at least 5 minutes and send Reiki to the movement in advance. You can do the exercise for as long as you like, but commit to at least starting and doing a few minutes. Ground into the Earth before beginning, thank your body and enjoy! Spend a moment at the end to place your hands over you heart and let Reiki flow. Thank your body once more for supporting you in this fun activity which strengthens you.
- Spend a moment or so in front of the mirror each day sending Reiki and love to your body. Accept and appreciate it just as it is. Do not try to change it. Just love it.
The wonderful thing is, by loving and accepting ourselves just as we are, we free our minds and our cells to make the changes they need to. We allow healing and rebalancing toward health to take place.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master, Teacher, and Author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She teaches online classes on energy healing, flower essences, herbalism, and personal growth. Angie often works with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Animal Reiki: How it Heals, Teaches & Reconnects Us with Nature and Reiki from A to Z.