Article by Angie Webster
It can feel at times like the Divine is far away, although it is truly never separate from us. Divinity is manifest in many forms throughout the Universe, including the Heavens, the Earth and our own bodies. We can use visualization to better see and understand the connection of Heaven and Earth within our own bodies through a simple meditation exercise. I find this exercise to be an excellent way to bring me back into my body, while still reminding me that I am always connected. It is very relaxing and often releases pain, as well. This exercise is best done first thing in the morning or just prior to going to sleep, but it can be done at any time.
1. Sit comfortably, in an upright position. You may like to wrap a blanket around you for comfort and warmth.
2. Place your hands in whatever position helps you feel most at peace and connected to your own inner world or something larger than yourself. This may be as simple as relaxing them comfortably in your lap, or resting them on your knees. You may prefer to touch your index finger and thumb together or hold your hands in the prayer position at your heart. Experiment until you feel good. It may be different for you each time you do this.
3. Relax the muscles in your belly and begin to breathe deeply and slowly into your low belly. Do this 3-5 times, until you feel a sense of relaxation begin to sweep over you.
4. Now let your attention tune in to your body. Scan over it, from head to toes, spending a moment or so in each area. Without judgement, notice the energy and sensations that are present in your body. Note areas of tension and areas of ease.
5. Taking another deep, slow belly breath, notice that your awareness is mostly centered in the head, around thought. This is normal, so there is no need to judge. See that awareness as an orb of light and energy in and around your head and shoulders.
6. Allow this energy to begin to settle deep down into your body. Notice how your body begins to feel heavier as you do this. You may feel more rooted to where you are sitting as the energy settles all the way down into your pelvis and your hips. Let your attention rest with this feeling for a moment.
7. Now imagine a beam of light that flows all the way through your spinal column, energizing and filling you with peaceful life energy. It is anchoring you to the Earth and to your body. See this light flowing all the way through you and then out of your hips and pelvic floor. The beam of light remains bright, strong and connected to you as it flows deep into the Earth. Feel the nourishing energy that you receive from the Earth. Also feel how the energy that is harmful to you flows out and is absorbed by the Earth.
8. Next, notice that the beam of light also extends out of the top of your head, into the Heavens. Feel the powerful energy that you receive from the Heavens, sustaining your life and your spirit.
9. Visualize this beam as one continuous beam, from the far reaches of the Universe, into and through the center of your body, and into the depths of the Earth. See if you can sense the energy of this light flowing through you.
10. Picture shining energy from this light flowing like a fountain all around you, from the top of your head, flowing all around your body, and back up into your feet. End the exercise by taking several deep belly breaths, just as you did in the beginning.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master, Teacher, and Author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She teaches online classes on energy healing, flower essences, herbalism, and personal growth. Angie often works with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Animal Reiki: How it Heals, Teaches & Reconnects Us with Nature and Reiki from A to Z. You can follow her at: angie-webster-healing.teachable.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/angiewebsterhealing).