Article by Angie Webster
I often hear of Christians who are afraid to accept or practice Reiki because they feel it is going against Christianity and the teachings of Christ. It is not necessary for either the practitioner or the recipient to follow a particular belief system, or any belief system at all in order for Reiki to work. Reiki is not dependent on religion. I would not tell someone what to believe. But I would like to show various ways in which Reiki is in alignment with what Jesus taught.
1) Jesus was a healer. This is not denied by any Christian that I know. There are a great many instances of Jesus healing people in body, mind, and spirit.
2) Jesus taught others to heal. He taught all of his disciples how to heal, and often encouraged their efforts and corrected them so they might heal more effectively.
3) Jesus said that all who learned from him would do the things He did and more. In the book of John, Jesus said that others would be able to do everything He did. They only needed to believe they could. “Do not fear, only believe,” He told the grieving father whose little girl had apparently died.
4) Jesus was compassionate. Jesus taught love and compassion above all. He asked that we all love and help our “neighbors”, which He described as anyone and everyone. It seems He wanted all to receive healing and love. He healed His followers as well as those who were of other cultures and religions. Healing was for all.
5) The early Christians seemed to realize that healing was teachable to all. The parts of the New Testament that take place after the death of Jesus have many instances of healing done by Christ’s followers. Paul and Peter, in particular, were frequent healers and taught other followers that they should do the same.
6) The Reiki principles embody the teachings of Jesus. When we say the “Just for today…” principles and follow our path of spiritual seeking, we are in alignment with what Jesus taught. We do not have to be Christians to practice calmness, compassion, kindness, and respect for self and others. These principles are inherent in all forms of spiritual practice and in coping well with life.
The primary purpose of following Jesus is to learn His teachings and then embrace and embody them. Healing is doing just that. To receive healing in modern times is no different than it was for those receiving healing from Jesus or his disciples. The healing Reiki energy comes from Source. This healing energy flowing from the Divine is mentioned all throughout the Bible (Old and New Testament). Jesus was a teacher in how to use and direct this flow of energy for the greatest and highest good.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master Teacher and author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She also teaches classes and workshops about Reiki and spiritual growth. She works often with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Infinite Reiki, Infinite Healing: How Energy Medicine Healed my Life and What It Can do for Yours. Reiki and a healthy lifestyle contributed to her healing after a 20-year struggle with neurological and chronic pain issues. She comes out the other side with a new perspective on life and now seeks to empower others, guiding them back to their own innate healing abilities. You can follow her at: angie-webster-healing.thinkific.com, https://www.facebook.com/HolisticSpirituality, http://www.serenityenergyhealing.com/