Article by Vedant Vikrom Borah
What is a Basil plant is the last thing people need to be told about! It is such a common herb that despite knowing it to be powerful we seldom give it much thought or importance. But I personally feel it is important to be aware – of its benefits, its uses. How about plucking a Basil leaf from your garden, hold it between your palms, Reiki it, with your eyes closed put the leaf in your mouth and feel it fused with Reiki reaching out to your system as you swallow the leaf. Feel its energy reach each and every corner of your body. Absorb the energy. The thought of it itself is amazing isn’t it?
Basil, known as Ocimum basilicum, is used as a culinary herb contributing a coumarin flavour and is one of the main ingredients in pesto. There are varied species of this plant each with a defined purpose like the Holy Basil, or Ocimum tenuiflorum commonly known as ‘Tulsi’ in India and finds its place as an essential part in the worship of Lord Vishnu (Narayana) or other deities. Holy Basil or even Sweet basil is found in every garden.
It is believed that the spirit of Basil shows in the form of an Elf; it holds the knowledge of integrating sexuality and spirituality. Surrounding a Basil plant, there is usually a dragon found serving as its protector. The faeries and spirit of Basil plant awaken discipline and devotion in our daily life. I don’t practice so can’t confirm but those who practice Faery Reiki and/or Dragon Reiki could perhaps find this holy plant of great help in their healing methods. Just a suggestion!
So the role of the Basil plant/leaves include:
Basil and its varied species have a very strong scent and thus make it ideal for aromatherapy contributed by the essential oils it synthesizes. There have been numerous scientific reports on the potential benefits of Basil which includes antioxidant, antiviral and antimicrobial properties with a potential for treating cancer. The oils have insect repelling properties and are toxic to mosquitoes. It has also been experimentally proven to decrease platelet aggregation and can be used for the treatment of stress, asthma, and diabetes mellitus.
Basil is also connected to the power of the Sun.
Goddess/ God: Krishna, Vishnu, other male Vaishnavite deities
The following are its properties as a ‘spiritual herb’:
- It helps purify the surrounding environment by removing toxic chemicals from air.
- When meditated upon the Holy Basil, it helps us commune with the Higher Self or the supreme power/the energy source/God!
- The seed when worn in the wrist or as a ‘mala’ or even used as a rosary takes you to a deep meditative state. It induces a calm deep within, if worn regularly.
- As I read in a blog, it is mentioned in the Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs that two Basil leaves placed on a live coal gives us an indicator about the state of our relationship. If they burn to ash quickly, the marriage will be harmonious, or will be disruptive if they crackle and hiss.
- It deflects negative energy and bad vibes from its surroundings.
And as a Reiki Channel, we can:
- Place a potted Basil plant in the balcony or as a window plant. Reiki it to purify the surrounding of your home/room. Make sure you keep the surrounding clean, as said earlier it attracts Dragon power and Faeries.
- Include Reiki infused Basil in your tea. The oils it releases in your tea will clean up your digestive system and improve circulation. We do find Tulsi tea in the market in case having a plant at home becomes difficult. It also provides relief from painful menstrual periods.
- Carry a few seeds of Tulsi in your pocket or in a pouch, it keeps your personal space clean. Use it with Sei He Ki or Zonar to remove unwanted energy and release them to the light.
- For married couples, place a pouch of powdered Basil leaves under the pillows, it helps keep the heart centre open to love and sensuality.
- Since Basil is associated with love and the Heart centre, you may meditate with its leaves between your palms allowing it to open your heart to love, Divine love. ☺
Reiki is always based on intention and energy goes where you want it to. Kindly make sure you have a word with your Higher Self in case you wish to use it as an indicator for your relationship. It is important to give our best to any relationship than to obsess over where it is leading to.
Have fun exploring Basil plant/leaves!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers.
Vedant Vikrom Borah is a Biotechnologist and a Reiki healer and teacher. He practices Usui Reiki, Karuna® Reiki, Karmic Reiki, Angel Reiki, Soul Mate Reiki, Deep Healing Reiki, Tiger Reiki, Kundalini Reiki and has embarked on the journey as a Pranic healer. He feels Reiki has helped him accept and let go and live life to the brim. Find Vedant on Facebook at Healing Child.