Article by Vedant Vikrom Borah
A Google search on the folklore and the use of bay leaf will lead you to exciting descriptions on how this leaf/tree had come into prominence for its magical properties including protection. These stories set back to the Ovid’s legend of the Greek God Apollo who fell in love with Daphne, who sought the bay laurel tree for protection from Apollo. The stories associated with bay leaves are fascinating, but also the fact that it is used till date as spice in our daily food.
Now that we are exploring the healing properties of such spices let’s look into what bay leaf has in store for us!
Bay laurel leaves, is called Laurus nobilis, are shorter and light to medium green in colour, with one large vein down the length of the leaf, while the Indian bay leaf is called Cinnamomum tamala, also known as ‘tejpaat’ are about twice as long and wider, usually olive green in colour, and with three veins down the length of the leaf. Either of these species of bay leaves can be used yielding excellent results.
So how does a bay leaf help?
Bay leaves are rich in various bioactive compounds which are known to be antiseptic, antioxidant, digestive with a probable anti-cancer activity. They are also rich in Vitamic C thus contributing as an immune system booster, with wound healing and antiviral properties. Folic acid found in these leaves aids in DNA synthesis while Vitamin A provides healthy vision. Besides various other minerals which help regulate blood pressure and metabolism. Perhaps this is why it is used with tea as it is an excellent way to ingest the biomolecules.
Legend says that the Bay leaf is deemed as the tree of the Sun God.
Goddess/ God: Buddha, Eros, Apollo
The following are its properties as a ‘spiritual spice’:
- Bay leaf can be used to increase psychic awareness.
- It helps promote visions and clairvoyance.
- Can be used for protection, good fortune, success, purification, strength, healing and divination.
- It provides protection against magical attack.
- Releases toxins from the skin through perspiration.
- It is an amazing charm to attract abundance and prosperity in life. You can refer to Rinku’s article on Bay leaf ritual on New Moon.
As a Reiki Channel, you can:
- Place seven bay leaves in a glass half filled with salt to ward off negative energy.
- Wear it as an amulet or carry it along with you in your wallet/purse to ward of negative energy.
- Place it under your pillow to keep nightmares at ‘bay’ and induce inspiration!
- Add a few leaves for a hot water bath, the oils nourish your skin and removes toxins especially when self healing.
- Burn a few leaves before/during meditation or self healing to promote clairvoyance and psychic visions.
- Keep a bunch (of 5-10 leaves) at the entrance of your residence for protection from unwanted energy. Team it with a ring or pouch carrying Star Anise seed.
- Write your wish on a bay leaf, Reiki your wish and burn it. Interestingly, it conveys the message to the Universe for manifestation.
- Write a question on your bay leaf and burn it. If the leaf crackles and burns the answer is in the affirmative. It is the contrary, if it refuses to burn and smoke.
Reiki is extremely important to foster and magnify its properties. Always ‘intend’ for safe use and purpose. Accept this leaf with an open heart and it becomes an amazing aid. It is important to ground and protect yourself when using it to receive answers. Always Reiki the leaves prior to use both in the kitchen and healing space for the highest good of all concerned. Intend and affirm that you wish to receive information that is pure divine guidance. Else, have a word with your Higher Self prior to use.
Have fun exploring Bay Leaf!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Vedant Vikrom Borah is a Biotechnologist and a Reiki healer and teacher. He practices Usui Reiki, Karuna® Reiki, Karmic Reiki, Angel Reiki, Soul Mate Reiki, Deep Healing Reiki, Tiger Reiki, Kundalini Reiki and has embarked on the journey as a Pranic healer. He feels Reiki has helped him accept and let go and live life to the brim. Find Vedant on Facebook at Healing Child.