Article by Ashwita Goel, Reiki Master
Gaia, or mother earth, has nurtured us for centuries. And yet, just in the last hundred years, mankind has wreaked so much havoc, that ecosystems have broken down, forests have disappeared, rivers have gone dry, species have gone extinct, the list is endless. And yet, there is hope.
In the last few months, something has shifted. Much of the pain that the earth was carrying, seems to have disappeared. To me, this brings hope that healing is only a matter of time, because aren’t we just as much a part of mother earth as any grain of sand?
Connecting with Gaia
I heard someone say recently, that nature is not a place to visit, it is home. I’d go a step further and say that it IS you. Most people practice Reiki for spiritual growth, and here’s a really easy way of allowing yourself to go beyond your mere physical body, to realising that you are much bigger than that.
- Sit in a park if possible, at the foot of a tree. If that is difficult, the next best thing is on the ground, or just settle for your floor if nothing else. You could also lie down if you like.
- Take a few deep breaths and center yourself.
- Draw the distant healing symbol between yourself and mother earth, to deepen your connection. If you are a level 1 healer, request Reiki to form a strong connection.
- Now, as you breathe in, imagine energies moving from the earth to you, and back as you breathe out. When you get into this deeply, sometimes this rhythm differs from the rhythm of the breath, and that is ok.
- If you have time, you could practice this breathing for about 15 minutes.
- Then slowly, gently, allow this breathing with the earth, to fade. There is nothing to breathe into, you are one. Allow yourself to disappear into the earth. Just be.
- Stay this way as long as you like. You might naturally feel like you are ‘back’ after some time, and you can get up when this happens.
Doing this at the end of your self-healing daily will help you ground more effectively and also deepen your connection with the earth.
Yes, the earth is already healing. But, isn’t it wonderful to still contribute in our own little way? There are a few ways of doing this.
- Stand in front of a tree and draw the distant healing and emotional healing symbols to connect with it. Place your hands on its trunk and request it to pass these energies on to the earth through its roots. You could also mentally thank the tree for all it is doing to keep the earth healthy – giving the birds, the insects, the worms a home, loosening the mud by extending its roots, raising the water table, etc.
- Place your hands directly on the earth and heal her. Allow an outpouring of love from your heart as you do this.
- Imagine infinite energies from the sky flowing down through and around you, into the earth.
Irrespective of which of the two methods you are using, hold it for at least 5 minutes, until you feel like it is fading.
Having learned Meditation as a child, Ashwita incorporated Reiki into her life during her early teens. After a decade of witnessing the magic Reiki, she felt compelled to take up Reiki professionally, and ended her corporate career in 2007, taking up Reiki full-time. She eventually incorporated EFT, hypnotherapy and past life therapy into her work. Apart from her healing work, she teaches Reiki and meditation, and her book ‘Healing Through Reiki’ is available on Amazon. You can connect with her through Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Reiki.Bangalore,
her website http://www.reiki-bangalore.com/ or visit her blog http://www.ashwita.com/zen/.