Article by Justine Melton
Reiki & Crossing Over: An amazing gift in the final season of life
Reiki can offer amazing benefits to those going through the final season of life. Often times care switches from curative to palliative. The focus is put on making this person’s life as comfortable as possible instead of curing them of a disease.
At this time emotions of the client as well as other friends, family members, and caregivers can be all over the board. The most common symptoms at this time for the client are typically lack of energy, pain, lack of appetite, and feelings of fear, anger, depression and sometimes of resignation. As a Reiki Practitioner you are able to help with all of this and can bring tremendous relief to the client and make this time as peaceful as possible.
When you meet with the client be sure to ask what they want to get out of this session. Good questions at this time would be… Do they have a fear of dying? Do they just want to experience less pain? Do they want to be guided to the other side in their last moments? Be sure to be sensitive to what their views are on the afterlife and don’t try to force your own. If you are asked what your views are be sure to share but at the end of life helping someone crossover to where they think the afterlife is, is what is most important. If your client does not belief in the other side and is just looking for pain relief be sensitive to that as well.
At this stage of life (hospice setting) I recommend Reiki on a daily basis or as the client feels needed. Reiki can provide so much relief during the transition. It relaxes the mind and body, calms emotions and allows the client to pass in as peaceful of a way as possible.
At this time guided meditations can have huge benefits. Guiding the client’s mind to a place outside of the hospice setting, where relaxation and peace are, can be of huge benefit. I like to use a guided meditation in the middle of a reiki session. This is not a traditional way to perform a session but I have found that it works wonders on clients. Another option is to simply do the guided meditation before the actual Reiki Session. This has the client relaxed and in a peaceful state before the Reiki Session begins.
Here is the method I like to use for Reiki in the hospice setting. This is just a guideline. Please feel free to add your own gifts to this:
- Ask the client what they want to get out of the Reiki Session. Usually there is a strong preference to working on fear, pain relief, connecting with a loved one that has departed, etc. Let this guide how you will do your session and guided meditation work.
- Cleanse the room and seal yourself and your client (this is covered in part one of this series)
- Begin the session by doing all of the Reiki symbols that you are attuned to over the body. I like to do extra ones over the sacral chakra, the 3rd eye, and the crown chakra. I feel that this opens up more room for emotional healing and for the client to be able to connect to what they want to during the meditation.
- Start the Reiki Session by doing the normal hand positions. At this time I like to do my own guided meditation for the client with whatever I’m being called to do. If you have a recorded meditation that you like to use and feel would be beneficial than you can use this instead.
- Basic Meditation: In your own way guide the client with colors. Whatever colors you are shown tell them that they are gently washing down the client. They are washing all that is bad away. Go through each color you are seen one right after the other. Be sure to go slowly and go through how relaxed each part of the body feels as the color is slowly washing over it. You can make this as short or long as you like. Then guide your client to a relaxing nature environment. I will use the example of a warm rainforest here with beautiful chirping bird sounds, a running stream of water and a pool of water with beautiful rocks and a small water fall. Go through the sounds here of anything the client might be hearing. Guide the client through all of the bright colors. Have them sit at a bench near this pool of water and notice all of these things. Then tell them that they notice a person sitting next to them that has come to answer any questions they may have. They are from the other side. Have the client stay in this space while you finish the Reiki Session. At the end of the session have your client share any messages they received if they are open to it. Amazing messages can come across at this time that offer additional relief.
This method can be used right up until the time the client crosses over. If a client is unconscious a regular Reiki session without the meditation can be used. It still offers huge benefits and allows their body to be as relaxed as possible.
In the next part of this article I will share tips on Reiki & Bereavement.
Wishing you all love and light!
Justine Melton is a Reiki Master/Teacher and an Intuitive Counselor. Reiki came into her life a few years ago and changed it in amazing ways. It is her passion now to bring Reiki to others and help them to heal in a holistic way. Justine is lucky enough to be an Empath, Clairaudient, Clairsentient, and Clairvoyant. She is able to use these gifts with Reiki if asked to give extra messages during a session for the client’s highest good. Justine believes that love is the greatest healing energy. She has founded a holistic healing association called Amore Holistic Health Group where people can go and choose from a variety of different healing modalities.