I have been empathically connected to animals all my life. I can understand how they hurt, what they fear and what makes them happy. I have been instinctively helping animals using communication and touch since before I knew what Reiki was. Animals are beings expanding their consciousness and spirituality just as humans are. Healing animals is important as it helps not only the animal, but humans as well.
Offering Reiki to an animal is different than giving Reiki to a person. I would like to address some of the ways I have found to help animals most effectively.
1. Be calm and relaxed when approaching an animal. Animals can easily sense our state of mind. When there is fear or upset in you, the same is created in the animal. A frightened animal is less likely to accept Reiki, and may lash out. Conversely, a state of peace and calm will soothe the animal, allowing it to more readily accept Reiki. I recommend meditating near the animal with the intent to allow Reiki to flow.
2. Animals are much more sensitive to energy than humans. Because of this, hands-on Reiki can seem like too much for them, particularly at the beginning. Always open your hands gently, at your sides or in your lap. Allow Reiki to flow from this position. This will help the animal feel more at ease with you.
3. Ask for permission to send Reiki. Animals like to feel that they are able to have some control over their lives, just as we do. Let them know that you are there to help. Tell them that you will listen to them as they guide how the Reiki session will go. If the animal is accepting, they will let you know by remaining nearby. They may become very still and may relax and go to sleep within a short period. Some animals need to continue moving around during Reiki, but they will stay nearby if they are interested in receiving. Use your intuition to guide you.
4. Let the animal guide your hands. If hands-on Reiki is something the animal feels they want, then they will move to your hands. Often they will place the body part they want treated into or near your hands. The animal knows better than anyone else where the Reiki will most help. Follow their lead. Never place your hands on an animal unless they have let you know they want you to. Just like with people, each one is different and sessions will vary, even with the same patient. Don’t assume the animal wants hands-on, even if it did before.
5. Follow the animal’s lead. When the animal lets you know he is done receiving Reiki, respect that, even if it’s only been a few minutes. End the session and thank the animal for participating. Each animal will let you know in their own way when they are done with the session. They may simply leave, or become engaged in another activity; they may wake from their “Reiki nap” and sniff your hands. If they decide to receive hands-on Reiki, don’t change hand positions if it seems that you may disturb the animal’s relaxed state. Let the animal guide the session.
Both pets and wildlife enjoy Reiki and benefit from it. I often stand outside in a quiet wooded area and open my hands, offering Reiki to any that wish to receive it. The response is always amazing! Animals come out of nowhere to soak up the Reiki. Many of them stand within a few feet away and quite often fall asleep right in front of me. Birds, mammals, frogs, fish and insects such as dragonflies and butterflies have all come to close to me to receive Reiki. Healing animals contributes to healing the wounds humans have caused them over the millennia. Healing any creature heals us all. We are all one.
Angie Webster is a Reiki Master Teacher and author. Angie’s primary focus is animal Reiki, which she adores. She also teaches classes and workshops about Reiki and spiritual growth. She works often with nature healing and Earth healing, hoping to better understand our connection with Mother Earth. Angie is the author of Infinite Reiki, Infinite Healing: How Energy Medicine Healed my Life and What It Can do for Yours. Reiki and a healthy lifestyle contributed to her healing after a 20-year struggle with neurological and chronic pain issues. She comes out the other side with a new perspective on life and now seeks to empower others, guiding them back to their own innate healing abilities. You can follow her at: angie-webster-healing.thinkific.com, https://www.facebook.com/HolisticSpirituality, http://www.serenityenergyhealing.com/