People who suffer from obsessions and compulsions carry a heavy burden on their shoulders. They suffer needlessly with energy draining habits, irrational fears, and inexplicable medical symptoms to name a few. Commonly known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), this is a condition that can sap one’s energy and seriously impair the quality of life. As with everything else that needs healing, the intensity of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder varies from mild to severe. In mild cases, it feels like a minor but constant annoyance. In moderate cases, it may be more pronounced but still tolerable. And in severe cases, it can prevent one from functioning normally in the world. In my own practice, I have worked with a few people with this condition, some of whom went on to make remarkable progress with healing themselves.
Here are a few details of each case with all names changed:
1. An eight year old boy by name Ram had this fear that his parents would die in the middle of the night if he did not check on them. This pushed him to make innumerable trips to his parents’ room to check if they were OK. After several months of quizzing the child, Ram’s mother understood the reason for his strange behaviour every night.
2. A thirty five year old woman by name Anita had the symptoms of varied illnesses. The symptoms came on every time she read something related to an illness or heard of someone who was ill. Despite constant reassurance from doctors that she was fit as a fiddle, she was convinced that she had some major health issues and worried obsessively about her health.
3. A twenty something woman by name Rita harboured the fear of losing a loved one. As a child, she feared her parents would die, as a young adult, she feared her boyfriend would die, as a wife she feared her husband would die. These fears plagued her constantly and she could not enjoy the time she had with her family.
4. A middle aged woman by name Sheela had this voice in her head that kept giving her scary messages and false warnings about the future. She had it from the time that she was a little girl. This voice seemed to have a life of its own and had Sheela freaked out from time to time.
5. A young woman by name Sonia was obsessed with washing her hands. She washed and scrubbed endlessly and got anxious if she did not wash enough.
6. A thirty year old man by name Raj was obsessed with turning switches on and off. His brain instructed him to turn on the switch ten times or more and he just followed its command. Raj feared that if he did not follow these instructions, something horrible would happen to him.
7. Another gentle young man by name Anil had this constant feeling that he had done something wrong for which he would be punished. He also had this nagging fear of hurting himself or others for no reason. Anil was so gentle as to not even hurt an ant and the thought of him hurting others disturbed him immensely.
What was common to all these people was that they each knew that their feelings and actions did not make any logical sense. But they could not help feeling the way they felt or doing the things they did. The voice that gave them these instructions had such great power over them that they had no energy left to think rationally. Many of them feared that if they did not do as instructed something would go wrong.
Energetically speaking, obsessions and compulsions occur because of issues with the Third Eye and are often related to past life trauma. Obsessive irrational fears that cannot be traced to events in this life invariably stem from past lives. The energy field stores all unhealed patterns from past lives and they surface to be healed. They often grow stronger after one is attuned to Reiki as that is Reiki’s way of encouraging us to heal them.
If you have been struggling with OCD, the following tips may help you cope and to heal yourself gently.
- Know that this voice in the head is not YOU. It is just some distorted energy lodged in your field. So, the next time you have these obsessive thoughts, do not be hard on yourself. Instead, separate yourself from the situation and view the voice as a separate entity. Do not suppress the voice or try to fight it as that will only make it worse. Just separate yourself from it, while acknowledging its existence at the same time. It may help you to say, “I am not this voice. I am the Light.”
- Locate the part of your body that is stressed and affected by this voice. It will usually be your head, heart or stomach. Gently place your palms over that part of the body and ask this voice to come into your palms. This is like taking a little baby in your arms. That is how gently and lovingly it must be done.
- You will now have this distorted energy form between your palms.
- Place this energy in a suitable open space like a bowl. Do not cover the bowl as that may indicate suppressing the energy. Let it be out in the open. Talk to this energy form and let it know that this bowl is its new home where it will be treated with love and receive healing. This act will not spread negative energy in your home. By releasing this energy form and treating it with love and compassion you will only create more positive energy. So, don’t be afraid.
- The next time you find yourself obsessing over something or indulging in compulsive behaviour, head straight to the place where you left the bowl. Stand before it, visualise the Reiki symbols forming in your mouth and gently blow them towards this energy form. Intend that pink light flows through your palms. Use your palms to envelop this energy form with the loving energy of pink light. If you feel overwhelmed, you can call on Archangel Raziel, who helps with Third Eye issues to be with you. His energy can help you relax and feel confident about your effort to heal. If you are away from home, you can still do this by connecting with the energy form from a distance.
Additional Ways to Heal
- Apart from using the Reiki symbols, you can also use the Violet Flame. Visualise this energy form surrounded by violet light and being transmuted into light. Or light a violet coloured candle and place it near the bowl, requesting it to send violet light to this energy form.
- Request Archangel Michael to stay on guard near this bowl and to send his healing energies to this voice continuously.
- Use a combination of techniques and do what feels right for you. As you work on healing yourself, it is also important to remember the following:
You will need to be patient and do this process several times before you notice a positive change. OCD is a deeply ingrained pattern and the healing process can be slow. The primary reason for this is that people feel helpless and give up if the voice takes over during the healing process. It is important to be aware that the voice will come back many times before it slowly starts to recede. It can come back in greater intensity when you begin this process of healing. The more we move towards light, the more tests we will have to face. But this is a positive phenomenon. Do not feel discouraged and give up midway. If you can manage to be aware no matter how forceful the voice feels, you will begin to make progress. The most important thing to remember at all times is that YOU are not that voice. Just this awareness can bring an incredible amount of healing and freedom. You are pure light and you have the power to heal anything that is not light.
- In case you are receiving other supportive treatment for OCD, please do not make drastic changes to your healing regimen by using this technique as a substitute for what you may have commenced already. It is perfectly OK to receive additional support from qualified healers/ therapists/doctors until you are confident of handling it all by yourself using this technique. You can use this technique alongside whatever therapy you may have chosen. This is intended to help you empower yourself and to be a conscious participant in your own healing.
- In case you have been suffering alone with this condition, know that you are not alone and that there are innumerable people who go through this. You are not crazy and no professional therapist will judge you. It is safe for you to work with professionals and to seek assistance to heal yourself. Love and Light to you!
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Haripriya is a Reiki Master, Angel Healer, and Spiritual Teacher. She was drawn to Reiki right from her childhood and Reiki went on to become part of her life’s purpose. Reiki is her constant companion from which she derives peace and contentment. She is also deeply connected with the angels, with Angel Healing being an integral part of her Reiki practice. After reaping the fruits of Reiki practice in her life, she was inspired to spread the joy of Reiki and the light of the Angels. Haripriya offers courses in Reiki and Angel Healing as well as distance healing services. She resides in Bangalore, India. Reach Haripriya at firstname.lastname@example.org and Angel Light on Facebook.