Reiki, an ancient Japanese healing technique, is becoming popular day by day. This technique provides a person with “Universal Life Energy” that strengthens the immune system in order to start self healing process inside body. This process repairs your body tissues, remove toxins and impurities, and restores balance and health by cleansing the body. Every person responds to attunements differently, some people experience strangeness after Reiki session which is characterized as feeling of strong emotions and person may also experience temporary rise in symptoms. This period of signs and symptoms is called as “healing crisis” or “detoxification symptoms”.
The symptoms of detoxification appear due to faster than normal rate of toxin elimination and may vary from person to person depending on the load of the toxins in a person’s bodily system. This is a temporary condition that usually lasts for no longer than 21 days.
Symptoms may be classified as mild, moderate, and severe. Another classification can be physical and emotional.
Symptoms may be similar to those of disease for which the therapy was initiated. Following is a list of common symptoms that might be experienced in the course of detoxification:
- Strong emotions like fury, fear, worry, irritability, sadness.
- Mood swings
- Development of certain type of phobias.
- Fever, cold or flu
- Nausea, Diarrhea.
- Fatigue, restlessness.
- Pains, for instance joint or muscular pain.
- Skin reactions like itching, rashes, etc.
- Lack of sleep.
The above stated symptoms are merely reactions related to the fact that the Reiki session has stimulated your immune system to start the healing process. It’s very rare that they may transform to any serious condition otherwise they soon subside as the therapy sessions continue. However, it is important for the person undergoing attunement to consult with their Reiki practitioner/master on the appearance of any kind of symptoms and keep them informed if any unusual or severe reaction appears.
MANAGEMENTS FOR SYMPTOMS
The best way for management is to increase the intake of fluids especially water as soon as the session is over, because water intake helps to flush the toxins and other waste products out of the body and can speed up the cleansing.
Other ways that may be helpful to manage the symptoms are:
- Modification in the diet and avoiding processed foods.
- Certain meditations may help to alleviate mental and emotional stresses.
- Express your emotions in a healthy way.
- Avoiding negative thoughts and situations.
- Sometimes good bowel movement relieves the symptoms as well; in that case enema can be a good option.
- Treat yourself gently and take the rest if you feel fatigue. In fact, get plenty of rest :).
- Spend some time in quiet and peace.
It is important that people should understand that symptoms after Reiki session are different from the symptoms that may appear as a side effect of any medication. Appearance of these reactions does not call for termination of the attunement but signifies the initiation of the healing process. Remember: If anything that would otherwise make you call a doctor appears, you should definitely call a doctor.